Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is faith so important for Christianity?
01-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Why is faith so important for Christianity?
Faith is the cornerstone of all Christians. It is how the disciples were able to preach and change the world. They absolutely believed in God's promises as told to them by Jesus Christ. The disciples treated the good news of Jesus as truth even though most of these truths were either promises for the future or at odds with the material world around them.

When Christians act out on their faith, it is the evidence of things not seen. Faith is the source of a Christian's strength and places them in God's plan for mankind. Through faith Christians anticipate the future of God's promises and act in faith in their day-to-day activity knowing they are in God's plan.

Without Christian faith there is no substance, no purpose, or strength in a person's life. People may have faith in other gods, themselves, or material things, but this type of faith is temporal and does not rely upon God's truth. Without faith in Jesus Christ, all is vanity with no purpose or hope. Jesus Christ came on this Earth to offer faith to all of mankind that everyone can be part of God's plan for eternal life and meaningful existence. Faith allows Christians to rise above earthly experience and participate in God's plan. See below for more commentary and Biblical advice on faith and Christianity.

online Christian scholarships
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2010, 08:46 AM
RE: Why is faith so important for Christianity?
Well written! Welcome to the forums!

Best regards,
Brian
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes, faith is the cornerstone of Christianity. Without faith, completely trust, blind faith, Christianity is impossible to believe in or follow.

Throughout the 90s the American people had blind faith in the economy, ignoring the warnings of economists who predicted a major downfall. Even when the economy began receding in the 21st century, Americans had faith. Complete faith despite the warnings of economists. Blind faith. In 2008 the stock market crashed.

In 1997 comet Hale-Bopp became visible, and a cult had blind faith that it was the gateway to heaven. This blind faith led them all to commit mass suicide at the moment of the comet's approach, ending a large number of lives.

In 2002-2003 most politicians had blind faith that Iraq contained weapons of mass destruction. Despite a CIA report to the contrary, President George Bush maintained his blind faith that these WMDs existed. While it's now obvious that some people in the know were lying, most congressmen truly believe in this threat. With blind faith. Only now we realized that countless american soldiers died to stop a threat that had not existed in the first place.

In 1863 Union and Confederate soldiers were locked in the battle of Gettysburg. The Union had been dealt a major blow, and had retreated to fortify themselves. General Lee had only to retreat and position themselves between the Army of the Potomac and Washington, and they could have crushed the union then and there and won the war. But Lee had blind faith in his men. He did not wish to retreat after they had performed so well. He had blind faith that his men would carry the day. The last two days of Gettysburg were a total union victory, leaving the Confederate army in tatters. The Confederates had no real chance to win the war from then on.

Christianity is likewise based on blind faith. It's time we stop glorifying it as a good thing.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I think having faith in some things is a good thing. To swallow ones pride and consider for a moment that there is a possibility that there may be something greater then yourself is something I admire.

-Hitler, personally, had no religious backing and he exterminated 11 million people during the Holocaust along with millions of others with his war machine. His blind faith in his capabilities drove the lives of millions of people into the ground.

-The diamond mines in Africa and the groups that run it have no religious affiliation yet their blind faith in a financial gain destroys and separates families in civil war.

-Faith motivated the Russians to defend their homeland and won an astounding victory at Stalingrad to turn away Hitler and begin their push on the Eastern Front.

-Faith motivated the same troops who were victorious at Gettysburg to help bring an end to slavery.

-Faith motivated George Washington to cross the Delaware on December 25th, 1776 to win a decisive victory at Trenton which motivated the American Revolution.

You and I, could go back and forth and in the end it would be pointless. Faith... is all some starving families have. I will be damned if I take that away from them.

Best regards,
Brian
01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
(01-04-2010 11:09 AM)IllustratorVir Wrote:  I think having faith in some things is a good thing. To swallow ones pride and consider for a moment that there is a possibility that there may be something greater then yourself is something I admire.

-Hitler, personally, had no religious backing and he exterminated 11 million people during the Holocaust along with millions of others with his war machine. His blind faith in his capabilities drove the lives of millions of people into the ground.

Actually Hitler was raised Catholic. It is possible that Hitler's avowed faith was hypocritical, and that he actually had little faith. There are many quotes from him that seem to support a devoutly catholic point of view, but other quotes that seem to indicate he cared little for the church. Maybe he was just insane and his mind changed. Regardless, you cannot say he had no faith.

Quote:-The diamond mines in Africa and the groups that run it have no religious affiliation yet their blind faith in a financial gain destroys and separates families in civil war.

I know you're sort of making my point here, but blind faith? The diamond mines were real. They had hard evidence of that. Faith had nothing to do with it. Faith causes many problems, but it's not the only cause of humanity's woes.

Quote:-Faith motivated the Russians to defend their homeland and won an astounding victory at Stalingrad to turn away Hitler and begin their push on the Eastern Front.

That's just ridiculous. The Russians won because, historically, it's nearly impossible to successfully invade Russia. Russians defended their soil due to nationalism and patriotism, the same reasons any people will defend their country. This has nothing to do with faith, blind or not.

Quote:-Faith motivated the same troops who were victorious at Gettysburg to help bring an end to slavery.

Now that's just patently untrue. If anything, the Union army was remarkably timid. Lincoln had to fire many generals because they were unwilling to make a move unless they had a certainty of winning, which was rare in the early war. Once Grant came in the Union had such a numerical advantage that victory was inevitable, and Grant send wave after wave of troops to die to overwhelm the Confederacy's inferior numbers. After the war there was no faith, just greed and politicking. The war wasn't even about abolition until 1863, the principles of slavery involved were far more subtle.

Quote:-Faith motivated George Washington to cross the Delaware on December 25th, 1776 to win a decisive victory at Trenton which motivated the American Revolution.

Faith had nothing to do with that. A carefully worked out battle plan, tactics, and genuine fighting ability on the part of the Revolutionaries went into that decision.

Quote:You and I, could go back and forth and in the end it would be pointless. Faith... is all some starving families have. I will be damned if I take that away from them.

You don't even seem to know what faith is. When you have the facts before you, and you have a reasoned plan and argument, that is not faith. That is rational thinking. That is good. When the future is uncertain, but you do the best planning that you can and you hope for things to be better, that is not faith. That is hope. Hope is good and gives motivation.

When you jump off a cliff because you are certain god will send angels down to guide you safely to the ground, THAT is faith. That is stupid.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-04-2010, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2010 02:43 PM by IllustratorVir.)
I made a post and after thinking about it took it back. I know what faith is to me, regardless of what examples we want to use. I think we are missing a bit of the point. A few of our examples are secular faith, or what I define as a strong belief in something with no absolute certainty. I think the example in the original post is referring to religious faith, which deals with the divine aspect behind choices and reasons for worship.

Best regards,
Brian
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Absolute certainty is one thing. For all we know Descartes was right, and the only thing that really exists is our sense of self. But making an easily rational, logical leap where there is not absolute certainty is very, very different from blind faith.

We have to make rational leaps all the time. We're going away for the evening. We have a child that needs caring for. There is a neighbor who often babysits for our friends, who has been highly recommended. Those she has babysat for have recommended her as responsible and kind, and the children she has babysat say they love her. We have a lot of evidence as to her character, and a lot of evidence as to the safety of leaving a child with her. There is still a leap involved, but it is a rational, logical one.

On the other hand, we would never leave our child with a stranger. Having no evidence, no rationale, no logic to the decision, we would not make a leap of faith. That would be blind faith.

There is no evidence, no logic, and no rationale behind faith in a divine being. All such beliefs are blind faith, and as responsible as leaving an infant with a total stranger.

01-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Original Post is very nice. Faith is important to Christianity because it relies on promises. If someone leaves and promises to come back it requires faith to believe they will come back.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)