Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why that one?
02-04-2009, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2009 03:24 AM by Urthred.)
Why that one?
Ok folks i got to wondering why do you belief in your religion, i mean why did you pick that relgion out of all of them available?

now the rules so to say.
1. please dont post something like "cause its the right one" even if your right (and im not say you arnt or are) its not possible to back it up and it inevitably leads the conversation nowhere.
2. obey rule #1
3. ok i only had one rule but its a good one(least i think so)

ill start.

i was raised as a christian (although i must admit a very weak one) and seeing suffering brought about by christians and the so called charity i saw them do with their ulterior motives blatantly obvious and corrupt i became an athiest. after many years as a happy athiest i became aware of a missing part of myself and after much internal conflict and some logical pondering converted to Celtic polytheism. in the long run i picked it because it filled that missing part of me with something.

Now you...

"Perhaps you've seen them only then you've just believed
And when they're fleeing then you feel you've been deceived
But in that feeling something ancient's been retrieved"
-Jack Hardy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2009, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2009 07:41 AM by Annolennar.)
RE: Why that one?
Short version: Logic and prayer/spirituality, no other religion seems to be able to satisfy both as completely.

-

Long version...

When asking about how we know about God or religion, there are basically three distinct underlying questions at stake, and the different answers to them can cause all sorts of confusion if not distinguished.

I feel that these three questions are:

1) How do you know of God?
2) How do you know about God?
3) How do you know God?

-

Regarding the first question: "How do we know of God?"

This is basically the question at stake in debate between theists and atheists. How does one establish in the first place that God (or any divine being, if you dislike the label) exists? In this question, one cannot appeal to Scripture (as the validity of such is predicated upon the acknowledgement of God's existence), nor can one appeal to science (as such a divine being is the origin of not only the physical universe, but all the laws and realities that define and govern that universe).

So, for purposes of answering this question I feel that one can only rely on pure logic. I will discount the possibility that nothing exists, because I am typing this explanation, and therefore logically cannot not be typing this explanation. Thus, my framework to begin with is that "things exist". One can make a reasonable observation that all things within human experience (whether objects, forces, or interactions) necessarily have a cause or source, and so on and so forth, until we meet a cause or source that is outside of immediate human experience.

At this point there are a few ways of proceeding ('stopping points' in the logical progression, if you will) that inevitably lead to the existence of a "divine being" in a sense that satisfies the question "How do you know of God?"

You can point to the laws of reality (scientific laws) as the First Cause which itself was not caused by anything, saying that these apply at all times, in all places, in all applicable ways, and in all possible realities. In other words, these scientific laws are infinite, eternal, omnipotent, and omnipresent - in and of itself this explanation simply conceptually divinizes physical reality to the same extent that traditional theists divinize God. I reject this because empirical evidence shows that this is not the case - at deeper and deeper levels we continue to find that laws we once thought inviolable do not hold up to scrutiny once we begin looking at things on the level of quantum mechanics, relativity, or string theory. I also dislike this option because physical reality is definable, and with anything definable it is logically plausible to ask "Why?" or "From where did this come?" or "What composes this?", which does not seem to fit the criteria of a "First Cause".

The slight variation on the option above would be to either reduce the laws of physical reality to a single basic principle, or assert that the universe itself (as the composition of all existent laws of physical reality) is the basic principle which is infinite, eternal, omnipotent, and omnipresent. In this case, God is simply redefined as the universe, but is still divinized to the same extent that God is divinized by traditional theists.

So, the divine (that is, the First Cause), if not physical reality itself, must transcend physical and temporal definition. Here we arrive at the sort of "theistic" view: that the divine is not physical in nature, and that it is infinite, eternal, omnipotent, and omnipresent.

Needless to say, however, this only affirms the existence of something which may be called God, and says nothing about the nature, qualities, or even that it may personified at all. So, on to the second question...

-

[continued]
[continued]

-

Regarding the second question: "How do we know about God?"

This is the question at stake for adherents and apologists of all religions, whether Christian, Muslim, Hindu, etc... Put differently, it asks two things: "What are the sources of our set of beliefs?" and "How do we know that one set of qualities ascribed to God (and the attached practices) to be true, or at the very least, more accurate than other sets?"

Obviously there isn't agreement on this in the world, so here's my personal reasons.

I settled on Catholicism because it has the best of all possible worlds: it is at once deeply personal in its domain while inherently communal in its practice; innately mystical in possibility yet eminently logical in the development of its doctrine; historical in its foundation yet dynamic in its capacity for interacting with society. I could go on, but I won't; essentially, while looking for truth, it was the obvious logical choice (I won’t go into the underlying logic, because believe it or not this isn’t supposed to be dissertation).

Now, that’s why I believe it (Christian belief) to be true. As for what resources I have in trying to think about God, well, I've got: Sacred Scripture, writings of Early Church Fathers, Tradition, and the list goes on.

-

Regarding the third question: "How do we know God?"

This is the easiest to answer in many ways. Basically we're talking about the personal relationship (or lack thereof, in some cases) that one has with God. This is where spiritual experiences and convictions come into play.

I was raised Christian (baptized and mostly Methodist, with periods of various other flavors of Protestantism such as Reformed and Disciples of Christ thrown in). Eventually, and I couldn’t tell you exactly when, I decided to figure things out for myself. At some point after reading writings of some of the Saints, and much thought, prayer, reflection, and a few instances where I believe God steered me in the direction He wanted me to go, I found myself taking RCIA classes at my local parish (much to the chagrin of some family members, unfortunately).

Today I feel closer to Him than I ever have, and I love it!

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
i made my own...wanna join? i'm now accepting donations!
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
i was born catholic,i prefer to be called christian,it is him i follow,i mostly read his words.i know many get put off by wolves and wars,but them things you can,t control.you and Christ you can.forget about humans most of them are muppets anyway,don,t let them change you.

Good evil salvation
02-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't have an organized religion. Still, you're question is a good one. Why do I believe what I believe...? Hmm... Well, the less accurate your view of reality, the less likely you'll be able to get what you want, I suppose. For maximal utility, you need maximal clarity.

But there's more. It is painful to fight the universe. Letting go of that fear is very liberating, I think.

Es gibt keine Korken in diesem Strom. Aber ich dachte zweifellos, dass es geben würde. Es dauerte mir Jahre, um diese einfache Wahrheit zu finden.
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2009 10:33 AM by Pilgrim.)
*Aplaudes Annoleenar's answer loudly! and whilst I'm Protestant by conviction & preference shouts!* Ditto and amen! for the exact same reasons. Smile

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
05-03-2010, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 09:32 AM by muslim girl.)
I believe there is god just one and he is almighty
Because my feeling
So
Jewish they do not want me to join them
So just too I have
Islam or Christian
I ask Christian have three gods
I ask them how that
they tell me something about sea and hole
you can not put all see water at small hole
so you can not put (understand) the truth at your head (mind)
05-07-2010, 03:32 AM
because it is the channel that JESUS is feeding spiritual food to at the proper time matthew 24;45-47

and it is VERY GOOD NOURISHMENT , to build me up nice and strong

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)