Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why would God let innocent animals suffer?
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2008 11:30 PM by jessicaw897.)
Why would God let innocent animals suffer?
I'll start off by saying that I love animals and always have. I would rather be in the company of my pets than with people in general. To me, my pets deserve to go to Heaven a lot more than I do. I've sinned a lot, like most people, and then I look at my dogs, who give me unconditional love and don't judge me or care one bit about all the bad things I've done. I don't understand how God can let innocent animals suffer. I was raised Catholic and was always told that animals don't have souls and can't suffer like people can. I don't believe that at all.

One of my dogs was rescued from an abusive owner. When I first got her, she trembled every time I touched her and would often wake up from her sleep yelping. So it seems to me that had suffered, and also remembered and was very affected by what had happened to her. It took her weeks to trust me and even now, 8 years later, she still does not fully trust people aside from my family and close friends.

I would rather see humans that have done something wrong suffer than watch a human torture an innocent animal. Animal testing, animal abuse, animal fighting, etc. are all things humans do. And for some reason those people are rarely "punished." People who murder other humans go to jail far more often than people who murder or abuse animals do. They're usually just fined, maybe get 1 or 2 years in jail, because for some reason, people, and most likely God, don't value the lives of animals as much as they value human lives. If God punishes people who kill and torture other people, why not also punish people who kill and torture animals?

I understand the idea that people suffer because Adam and Eve sinned, but why should that mean animals have to? They didn't do anything wrong. There is absolutely no reason for God to let innocent animals suffer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2008, 06:26 AM
RE: Why would God let innocent animals suffer?
I really wish I had an answer for this but like you I was also taught that animals have no souls.

I was searching online and this page came up and I am still contemplating whether to change my belief or not:

http://www.all-creatures.org/murti/tsnhod-08.html

I belive that for those who do torture animals and in other words are sinners, there will be a judgement day for them and they will be given their reward.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness~ Albert Einstein

Live like everyday is your last~ Anonymous
08-22-2010, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2010 04:43 PM by Kathie Bondar.)
(07-13-2008 11:29 PM)jessicaw897 Wrote:  I'll start off by saying that I love animals and always have. I would rather be in the company of my pets than with people in general. To me, my pets deserve to go to Heaven a lot more than I do. I've sinned a lot, like most people, and then I look at my dogs, who give me unconditional love and don't judge me or care one bit about all the bad things I've done. I don't understand how God can let innocent animals suffer. I was raised Catholic and was always told that animals don't have souls and can't suffer like people can. I don't believe that at all.

One of my dogs was rescued from an abusive owner. When I first got her, she trembled every time I touched her and would often wake up from her sleep yelping. So it seems to me that had suffered, and also remembered and was very affected by what had happened to her. It took her weeks to trust me and even now, 8 years later, she still does not fully trust people aside from my family and close friends.

I would rather see humans that have done something wrong suffer than watch a human torture an innocent animal. Animal testing, animal abuse, animal fighting, etc. are all things humans do. And for some reason those people are rarely "punished." People who murder other humans go to jail far more often than people who murder or abuse animals do. They're usually just fined, maybe get 1 or 2 years in jail, because for some reason, people, and most likely God, don't value the lives of animals as much as they value human lives. If God punishes people who kill and torture other people, why not also punish people who kill and torture animals?

I understand the idea that people suffer because Adam and Eve sinned, but why should that mean animals have to? They didn't do anything wrong. There is absolutely no reason for God to let innocent animals suffer.

I hate to rock your idealistic boat, but why would eating an apple be considered such a grave sin that the whole of Mankind had to be punished for it? Or could the apple be a symbol for sex perhaps? If so, why would the vehicle of procreation be considered such a sin that the entire Manking would be punished for it.
As for your dogie, could I assume it is vegetarian, since you would not want to kill just to feed your pet.
(07-14-2008 06:26 AM)Bobin Wrote:  I belive that for those who do torture animals and in other words are sinners, there will be a judgement day for them and they will be given their reward.

How right you are!
My work is with parapsychology and dream interpretation. I worked out the dynamics of reincarnation. All thing are subject to the rebirth cycle, people, plants, animals etc...
When we die on Earth the soul body being the permanent one, detaches from the phycal body and returns where it came from. It carries with it memory and learning and the first thing that happens is a performance evaluation.
In my book I followed the passing of a large number of historical persons, their present and past lives on Earth and what happened when they returned from here. When things do not turn out too well, some try to balout. Suicide is the worst a person can do to himself. Take Adolf Hitler, for example. He lost the war and committed suicide, so he was immediately sent back to Earth. What has become of him? He became a serial child killer, eventually caught and convicted. Today he is still in prison.
My book's title is JESUS. HIS LIFE AND WORK ON EARTH AND BEYOND
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I found your post when I was looking for something to help me understand why innocent animals have to suffer.

Our dog, Puppy, who had been with us going on 14 yrs, had an attack of some kind on 8/27. We drove an hour to take her to an emergency clinic, took her to our regular vet the next day, then to a surgeon the day after that. Our vet kept her on IV and antibiotics several days, but she just kept going downhill--went into kidney failure. The poor little thing lost about half her body weight, and she only weighed about 20 lbs. to start with.

That precious little dog was my child's BEST friend on earth--they did everything together. She went almost 2 weeks barely licking at any food, couldn't move her hindquarters, didn't have the strength to even drink water her last day--she suffered HORRIBLY. Imagine what that did to my little girl who has spent almost 14 yrs. making sure that dog always had everything she needed.

I prayed for years that when Puppy's time came that God would take her gently, not let her suffer, and not EVER have us make the decision to end her suffering. When she got sick, I PRAYED WITHOUT CEASING, as the Bible tells us, for God to either send a miracle and heal her--which I know He is able to do--or take her on to Heaven. But she just laid there lifeless, until finally on the 12th day she died. It was PITIFUL.

Puppy was part of our family. Every time I saw Scarlett (my child), Puppy was right behind her. Puppy had NEVER done anything wrong, she was a good and faithful friend to Scarlett. Puppy would have attacked a grizzly if she thought Scarlett was in danger.

So WHY did this innocent dog have to suffer? If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate you letting me know, because I can't figure it out. "...the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy." (James 5:11) Our Puppy didn't get any of that mercy.

D. Smith

I'll start off by saying that I love animals and always have. I would rather be in the company of my pets than with people in general. To me, my pets deserve to go to Heaven a lot more than I do. I've sinned a lot, like most people, and then I look at my dogs, who give me unconditional love and don't judge me or care one bit about all the bad things I've done. I don't understand how God can let innocent animals suffer. I was raised Catholic and was always told that animals don't have souls and can't suffer like people can. I don't believe that at all.

[/quote]

09-11-2013, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 10:55 PM by shiverleaf15.)
"And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever."

Of course there's animals in Heaven. John saw them in a vision giving glory to Christ before the throne of God.

There is often no reason why bad things happen to people, even as there is often no reason why good things happen to people. They just happen because the world God created allows such "accidental" things to happen, good or bad. We are here to see both bitterness and joy, to find both misery and inner peace, this so that we may truly understand that Heaven is inner peace and joy eternal, while Hell is bitterness and misery eternal. By experience we gain comprehension, by comprehension we gain accountability for the decisions we make, which will determine our eternal destiny. Fairness is preserved by accidentalism, not destroyed as some would assume. In such accidentalism, not just humans face adversity, other creatures will undoubtedly fall victim to many unfortunate events.

It's God's intention that this world is full of accident, that we may face both the good and the bad without there being much bias. But our actions will determine the future beyond the resurrection. What about animals? They will be glorified. So I don't believe Puppy will be suffering anymore, and you will see her again.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
09-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Jessica wrote:

"I understand the idea that people suffer because Adam and Eve sinned, but why should that mean animals have to? They didn't do anything wrong. There is absolutely no reason for God to let innocent animals suffer."

Baha'is don't accept that Adam and Eve sinned and that this is the cause of suffering of humanity and animals.

God created animals and humanity and we have certain responsibilities for animals..among them kindness to animals. It is man in his cruelty that abuses animals.. Here is the Baha'i view:

Then, O ye friends of God!

Ye must not only have kind and merciful feelings for mankind, but ye should also exercise the utmost kindness towards every living creature. The physical sensibilities and instincts are common to animal and man.

Man is, however, negligent of this reality and imagines that sensibility is peculiar to mankind, therefore he practices cruelty to the animal. In reality what difference is there in physical sensations! Sensibility is the same whether you harm man or animal: there is no difference. Nay, rather, cruelty to the animal is more painful because man has a tongue and he sighs, complains and groans when he receives an injury and complains to the government and the government protects him from cruelty; but the poor animal cannot speak, it can neither show its suffering nor is it able to appeal to the government.

If it is harmed a thousand times by man it is not able to defend itself in words nor can it seek justice or retaliate. Therefore one must be very considerate towards animals and show greater kindness to them than to man. Educate the children in their infancy in such a way that they may become exceedingly kind and merciful to the animals. If an animal is sick they should endeavor to cure it; if it is hungry, they should feed it; if it is thirsty, they should satisfy its thirst; if it is tired, they should give it rest.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 373

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
09-13-2013, 04:33 PM
(07-13-2008 11:29 PM)jessicaw897 Wrote:  If God punishes people who kill and torture other people, why not also punish people who kill and torture animals?

jessica897, you may be interested to know that science now indicates that animals may not even be aware that they as selves are experiencing pain, much like someone who has sight-blindedness is not aware that they can in fact see.

Apparently, according to Michael Murray's book Nature Red in Tooth and Claw, all animals except higher level primates lack the brain structures necessary to be *self-aware* that they are in pain. They may react to painful stimuli as if they are aware of the pain, but in fact they don't recognize the pain as happening to themselves. This is remarkable! If God exists and he made animals, then it is incredible that he created the vast majority without the self-awareness of pain, thus sparing them from the awful experiences of an incredibly harsh world.
09-13-2013, 07:36 PM
(09-13-2013 04:33 PM)nosyt43 Wrote:  They may react to painful stimuli as if they are aware of the pain, but in fact they don't recognize the pain as happening to themselves.

This doen't make any sense to me... care to explain?
09-13-2013, 08:18 PM
(09-13-2013 07:36 PM)Herminator Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 04:33 PM)nosyt43 Wrote:  They may react to painful stimuli as if they are aware of the pain, but in fact they don't recognize the pain as happening to themselves.

This doen't make any sense to me... care to explain?

Herminator, it may be helpful to explain sight-blindedness as an analogy. In sight-blinded patients, a ball could be thrown at them and they would catch it, but when asked why they caught the ball, they would have no explanation because they do not believe that they can see. Similarly, animals other than higher level primates would lack the "belief" that they personally were in pain. So, though they react to pain, they would have no more awareness of the pain than those sight-blinded patients are aware of their vision.
09-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Can't it be true that fellow humans are also reacting to pain, etc, without really experiencing it?

You can't know.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  God Created Man To Be A Vegetarian And Not Eat Animals Or Fish Chika 143 17,812 10-28-2015 05:16 AM
Last Post: Spiny Norman
  Can Animals Sin? Steveh 44 6,128 02-23-2015 06:43 AM
Last Post: Destined to hell
  Why Animals are changing the way they live? KAYSER 51 2,694 12-20-2013 03:43 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Creating something to suffer Macky92 3 655 02-21-2013 10:56 AM
Last Post: Requiem
  Does your religion comand you to be kind to Animals? KAYSER 62 5,191 02-05-2013 07:38 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  If sin creates victims, then Gays and prostitutes are innocent. Greatest I am 17 1,708 02-01-2013 08:40 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Religion and killing animals. ripplingwave 22 2,300 02-15-2012 08:11 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  Animals calling their Lord Allah VIDEO Isa 23 7,074 11-08-2010 02:40 PM
Last Post: biomystic
  universe and the design of us and animals hillbilly 5 1,164 01-18-2010 10:50 AM
Last Post: hillbilly
  descended from animals smellycat 5 1,105 02-08-2009 03:01 PM
Last Post: God Rocks

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)