Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why you do not believe in the Bible?
09-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Why you do not believe in the Bible?
Just curious about some of your logical reasons (or even the illogical ones) for why you do not believe in the Bible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2008, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2008 10:33 PM by Annolennar.)
RE: Why you do not believe in the Bible?
I'm not atheist, so I really have no business answering this, but I would suspect that it has to do with not believing in God.

In order to believe that the Bible is authored/inspired/whathaveyou by God, one has to actually believe in God in the first place. Lacking that basis, an atheist has no reason to believe the Bible to be worse or better than any other book.

Beyond that, I would suspect it has to do with how one perceives the Bible. i.e. Is one looking for spiritual meaning, or historical record, or even scientific fact? One's mindset when going into anything is going to affect how one reacts to that.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
09-11-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm also not an atheist, but I can kind of understand where they come from. I mean, imagine someone from a different religion asked you why you don't believe in whatever their equivalent to the bible happens to be. To you it's just another book with nothing special about it, why would you believe in it?

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Again, not actually atheist (though far from a normal "Christian" either). However, for a long time not only didn't I believe in the Bible but I'd have actually asked people why they did. The Bible, to a nonbeliever, is nothing more than a book. In fact, to the nonbeliever who has studied it, it is nothing more than a collection of old, severely modified scrolls. For one to believe in the modern Bible as being unquestionable truth they must:
1) Believe in God (which an Atheist does not)
2) Believe the Bible was written/inspired by God.
3) If it was not written directly from God (which no one I've met would say it was), then the humans writing it must have been able to do so with no errors.
4) Deny that, throughout the years and languages, changes have occurred for any reason (including mistranslations and errors due to the complexity of translating in general)

Only with all of those conditions being met can one actually fully believe in the modern Bible.
Honestly I believe in God and Jesus and that Jesus came to save all of mankind, yet I still cannot fully believe in the modern Bible. I find it difficult if not impossible to deny the many errors that now exist. I have seen through history where they caused wars. I have seen first hand where misinterpretation of it allows people to feel justified in abusing their own children. I have seen where it has been misused to judge others despite what it actually reads...

HelpThisLife | Anime Forums
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2008, 10:11 AM
The reason that I feel it has less significance than any other work of fiction is that I'm not delusional.
11-01-2008, 06:54 PM
as an atheist looking at the bible perspectively it isnt exactly comprehensive
and it does have quite a few nasty bits (particularly in the old testament) that arnt very christian or very nice by today's standards)
the new testament is also doctored in that it is a selection of gospels from those available chosen by someone else, eliminating some of the work of other apostles that was considered too different or contradicatary
to me the bible seems a bit cobbled together and has no real evidence to supoort a belief in god, frequently to me it achieves the opposite

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
madtrombonist Wrote:Just curious about some of your logical reasons (or even the illogical ones) for why you do not believe in the Bible.
I'm not an atheist either, but I understand why anyone would have problems believing the Bible. Some have already been mentioned, but what is written within is the hardest part for most people. It requires a lot of faith to accept the God of the Bible as creator, when He never speaks to us face to face. And when you read the Bible you find a whole lot of killing and horror that we can't imagine God being any part of. The eating of babies is enough to send shivers down your spine. But it is history, and it is in the Bible. That thing has a lot in that is pretty awful.
Reason number one is personal when you think it condemn us. We are all sinners and if we don't see some hope for ourselves, the Bible is out of the question. But take the whole Bible and there is hope if you find it. Those of us who believe have learned to take the whole thing and have found a truth that answers most of our questions.
12-02-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't believe in the bible because in my mind none of the things that happened in the bible are even possible, most of the bible goes against the laws of physics and anything that goes against that in my mind is not possible, until proven different.

-CosmoRad
12-04-2008, 07:26 PM
As an atheist, I don't hold belief in the Bible, especially as the word of a god, because I don't believe in a god. I think I could safely speak for most Atheists on that. Now, I won't deny that the gospels DO have historical relevance, however I believe most are peppered with more symbolic referrences rather than fact.
12-05-2008, 11:22 AM
eissejh8433 Wrote:As an atheist, I don't hold belief in the Bible, especially as the word of a god, because I don't believe in a god. I think I could safely speak for most Atheists on that. Now, I won't deny that the gospels DO have historical relevance, however I believe most are peppered with more symbolic referrences rather than fact.

Sad I always preferred cumin powder...

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)