Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Woolley and deano big religious debate
02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Woolley and deano big religious debate
Right .org, my name is deano, my partner in crime is here with me in soul... and we thought we’d ask if anyone had any special experiences with a ‘Jesus’ – that’s what we call them at football matches. I guess you could say they are followers, speakers etc...

He comes every so often. He brings his big news board thingies and a load of a5 handouts and speaks from his heart.

Reina can save ya soul, but can’t save ya goal. – One statement he
once said, or i think he said that.

My point is, has anyone ever encounted a similar thing at places you wouldn’t expect such things to happen?

Our Jesus appears just beside the everpool bar at anfield.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2009, 01:18 PM
RE: Woolley and deano big religious debate
(02-25-2009 12:30 PM)deano Wrote:  Right .org, my name is deano, my partner in crime is here with me in soul... and we thought we’d ask if anyone had any special experiences with a ‘Jesus’ – that’s what we call them at football matches. I guess you could say they are followers, speakers etc...

He comes every so often. He brings his big news board thingies and a load of a5 handouts and speaks from his heart.

My point is, has anyone ever encounted a similar thing at places you wouldn’t expect such things to happen?

Well I suppose you know what you are talking about, but those of us with an IQ above 80 are having trouble understanding your super sophisticated wit.
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
(02-25-2009 01:18 PM)Anglican Wrote:  
(02-25-2009 12:30 PM)deano Wrote:  Right .org, my name is deano, my partner in crime is here with me in soul... and we thought we’d ask if anyone had any special experiences with a ‘Jesus’ – that’s what we call them at football matches. I guess you could say they are followers, speakers etc...

Well I suppose you know what you are talking about, but those of us with an IQ above 80 are having trouble understanding your super sophisticated wit.

I think the OP is referring to the religious zealots that stand on street corners and such, loudly proclaiming their religious beliefs. They sometimes have religious pamphlets to hand out, and are occasionally stereotypically used in movies as the crazy/homeless guy declaring the end of the world on their sandwich board or something.

That's just my guess though. And to the OP - no, I've never met anyone like that. The best I can do is the occasional wandering Jehovah's Witness or Mormon.

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
02-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Damian...OP????
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
(02-25-2009 05:18 PM)deano Wrote:  Damian...OP????
OP= Opening Post.

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
02-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, I'm in the south, so we don't really have those guys on street corners. They've organized and mobilized around here. I remember working restaurants when I was younger, and getting tipped maybe 1%, along with a gospel tract. To this day I regret that my sense of responsibility to that job was too great to keep me from running out after them and saying, "Pardon me, sir, but I think my soul is worth a bit more than a fifty cent tip."

In fundamentalist baptist towns you get people like that all the time. Back in '96 I was still a Christian, and the Olympics came to Atlanta, so all the fundamentalists held a tent meeting near Stone Mountain Park, which was one of the venues. Except for the fact that most of us were well-dressed, there was no real difference between us and the crazy guys shouting on street corners. We were in a big open tent, making lots of noise, singing praise music, and having fire and brimstone preachers shout at us about heaven and hell (and occasionally the love of Christ). I had just read Frank Peretti's "Prophet" and I wanted to have a holy spirit experience. They were emotional, heady times.

Nowadays, though, I think back on that and can only imagine what crazy nutters we must have looked like to everyone else. But when my military-nut friend pointed out how the local mega-huge baptist church was perfectly constructed as a fortress to hold off a decently-sized state militia indefinitely, you have to wonder . . .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclamation Christianity is a big lie and a big blof! dallasjewishboy 23 5,777 03-10-2017 12:19 AM
Last Post: PeterPants
  the big debate; Vedanta & Buddhism Adi Baba 2 447 02-25-2013 01:27 PM
Last Post: Adi Baba

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)