Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
World War Three ?
02-01-2010, 05:52 AM
World War Three ?
If 'Monty Pythons...The Life of Brian" had been made about the muslim religion would it have instigated WW3, given the inability of muslims to take any joke at all regarding their irrationally sensitive religion?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
RE: World War Three ?
I make jokes about Muslims all the time, and about Muhammad (Peanut Butter Upon Him.) I haven't started a war yet.

See, wars generally require more than a few extremists getting laughed at to start. Political wheels don't turn quite so easily.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2010 04:29 PM by Stereophonic.)
(02-01-2010 12:33 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  ...I haven't started a war yet...

I doubt you would dare to say such things on the streets of Tehran.

If ever a well-known personage makes any remark that is considered disrespectful to Islam or its prophet, or if any media outlet permits such an offense to be disseminated, Muslims all over the world have been known to riot, smash cars, burn buildings, and kill innocent people (even children).

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Well no, but I wouldn't blaspheme god in Vatican City either. Nor would I use racial epithets in Compton. You think it's just Islam that has people willing to kill if you insult them?

As for media outlets... yeah, the Muslim world needs to chill out about that. But while it is certainly worse than the reaction of Christendom to the rare televised slam of Christianity, it's only a matter of degree. The offense and outrage behind it are the same.

The Muslim world isn't going to start World War III. If we're lucky, no one will. But it certainly won't be the Muslims. Israel's nuke arsenal could burn the Middle East, and Iran's hypothetical future nuke arsenal might be able to do the same, but little more.

There are Muslim countries that theoretically could start WWIII, but they wouldn't do it just because of Islam. The only nations that would start wars over religious matters are rogue states that would get squashed by the UN. They might do some damage beforehand, but it wouldn't really be a war. Just a nuclear first strike by them, followed by massive invasion by the UN. End of story.

Even the Iraq War, which was later justified by Bush as being a religious war, wasn't really a religious war. There were all sorts of political factors that entered into it. And that's why wars happen. For politics. Most heads of state are smart enough not to go to war for god. God can fight his own wars.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
The question was very specific.............."Life of Brian" transformed to an Islamic equivalent. "The Life Of Brian" seriously takes the piss out of the bible and christianity (though hilarious). What would the reaction be from the muslim world if the same thing was done to Islam and the quran?
02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
(02-02-2010 11:30 AM)minus459 Wrote:  ...What would the reaction be from the muslim world if the same thing was done to Islam and the quran?

There would be rioting and burning and killing of innocent people. That is what would happen, and indeed what has happened numerous times before over much smaller provocations.

By contrast, what happened when the Life of Brian came out? Zilch. Zip. Nada.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
02-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Actually, when Life of Brian came out entire countries banned it, and so did many American states. The Swedish ad campaign rightfully said it was "A film so funny it was banned in Norway." And this was from a film that carefully and specifically does not mock Jesus or Christianity, but instead mocks the stupid people who misinterpret the faith.

So take your pick. If you make fun of Muslims, they may riot and burn things. If you make fun of Christians, they will take away your freedom of speech and manipulate entire national governments to do so.

I'll take the Muslims, thank you very much. People recover easier from a terrorist attack then they do from a loss of inherent freedoms.

02-03-2010, 02:59 AM
(02-02-2010 05:29 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Actually, when Life of Brian came out entire countries banned it, and so did many American states. The Swedish ad campaign rightfully said it was "A film so funny it was banned in Norway." And this was from a film that carefully and specifically does not mock Jesus or Christianity, but instead mocks the stupid people who misinterpret the faith.

So take your pick. If you make fun of Muslims, they may riot and burn things. If you make fun of Christians, they will take away your freedom of speech and manipulate entire national governments to do so.

I'll take the Muslims, thank you very much. People recover easier from a terrorist attack then they do from a loss of inherent freedoms.

Any objective viewing of "The Life Of Brian" cannot interpret it any other way than a satirical view of Christianity (and perhaps all religion). If that is the "stupid people who misinterpret the faith" then so be it. But my contention, I think is still valid. The reaction of the majority of christians was in stark contrast to the reaction of many muslims too a couple of cartoons in Denmark.
Perhaps the point I am trying to make is the capacity for tolerance in different, even different variations, of religion. "The Life Of Brian" is not only hilarious, but being satire, it carries a message that most religions could well do with learning. Tolerance.
02-03-2010, 03:14 AM
(02-02-2010 05:29 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  People recover easier from a terrorist attack then they do from a loss of inherent freedoms.

Here in 'ultra-Christian' USA, I never had any problem seeing Life of Brian in the movies or on cable TV, or buying it online or in a store.

But you prefer this and of course this?
02-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Whatta ya got to lose
nuffin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)