Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wrong Translations
04-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Wrong Translations
Anybody know of any mis-translations in the Bible?
e.g Red Sea could also have been translated as Reed Sea

Funny how everyones religion is the right one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2009, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2009 06:40 AM by George.)
RE: Wrong Translations
Where do you start. You could write your own book on mis-translations.

Jesus:

I am the son of Man.

Translation:

I am the son of God.

Please correct me if this is incorrect or not what you mean.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2009, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2009 08:40 AM by Anglican.)
(04-22-2009 06:33 AM)George Wrote:  Where do you start. You could write your own book on mis-translations.

Jesus:

I am the son of Man.

Translation:

I am the son of God.

Please correct me if this is incorrect or not what you mean.

Ego eimi 'o 'Uios Anthropou.

I am the Son of Man, which if you had even a passing knowledge of NT Greek would be very difficult to confuse with:

Ego eimi 'o 'Uios Theou.
04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
It depends on the translation you're talking about. I know the King James Version of the Bible translates many verses to support predestination (because of the Calvinist influence in the translation,) where those verses actually do not support that philosophy.
04-22-2009, 09:32 AM
ne. esis sostos

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

Translates:

Build churches and temples, paint and draw pictures of heaven and hell. Treat something that does not want to be treated like god as a god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2009, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2009 01:38 PM by Anglican.)
(04-22-2009 08:37 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  It depends on the translation you're talking about. I know the King James Version of the Bible translates many verses to support predestination (because of the Calvinist influence in the translation,) where those verses actually do not support that philosophy.

You mean a bit like:

John 6.65
"And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father." (KJV)

"So he said, This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it has been granted to him by the Father." (Revised English Bible)

OR

Acts 2.39
"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are far off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (KJV)

"The promise is to you and to your children and to all who are far away, to everyone whom the Lord our God may call." (REB)

OR

Matt 13.10-11
"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given." (KJV)

"The disciples came to him and asked, 'Why do you speak to them in parables?' He replied, 'To you it has been granted to know the secrets of the kingdom of Heaven, but not to them.'" (REB)

Although Calvinists tend to regard predestination as their own personal trademark, Aquinas for one got there before them:

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1023.htm

(Although it is true that, when it comes to predestination, most Catholics are disciples of Molina, rather than Aquinas.)
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Good, you have managed a nice comparison of Bible verses between translations that are both inaccurate.

Now, use a good concordance and start looking up the Greek and Hebrew.
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2009 06:05 PM by Anglican.)
(04-22-2009 05:12 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Good, you have managed a nice comparison of Bible verses between translations that are both inaccurate.

In that case the NRSV must have it wrong as well then. It is amazing how many scholars there are in the world who should really get the sack.

EDIT:
In fact I have just looked at half a dozen versions of John 6.65. Except for the KJV they are all translations made in the last fifty years or so, and they all say the same thing.
04-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I bring this topic up because I was watching the Colbert Report the other day and some guy had a new book out called "Jesus Interrupted" about this kind of thing and it looked like an interesting read.

Funny how everyones religion is the right one.
04-22-2009, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2009 09:31 PM by Anglican.)
(04-22-2009 08:06 PM)PhillyWilly Wrote:  I bring this topic up because I was watching the Colbert Report the other day and some guy had a new book out called "Jesus Interrupted" about this kind of thing and it looked like an interesting read.

There are many thousands of NT manuscripts in existence, and over the centuries variant readings have crept in. By comparing mauscripts it is largely possible to recover what was originally written, but still there are variations. Different groups of translators will make different decisions about which variants to go with.

There are all sorts of ways the mission and character of Jesus can be interpreted. I can think of at least one Marxist who has got him marked out as his hero, on the grounds that he seemed to side with the under dog.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  too simple Bible translations sorell 2 460 08-23-2013 10:01 PM
Last Post: rocketboy9000

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)