Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Yet another result of Muslim thinking.
08-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Yet another result of Muslim thinking.
Reprinted from here.

The president of Mali has announced that he is not going to sign the country's new family law, instead returning it to parliament for review.

Muslim groups have been protesting against the law, which gives greater rights to women, ever since parliament adopted it at the start of the month.

President Amadou Toumani Toure said he was sending the law back for the sake of national unity.

Muslim leaders have said the law is an attack on Islam and traditional values.

Some of the provisions that have proved controversial give more rights to women.

For example, in the new law women are no longer required to obey their husbands, instead husbands and wives owe each other loyalty and protection.

Women get greater inheritance rights, and the minimum age for girls to marry in most circumstances is raised to 18.

Marriage definition

One of the other key points Muslims have objected to is the fact that marriage is defined as a secular institution.

Over the last few weeks Muslim leaders have organised protest after protest around the country, mobilising huge crowds against the law.

The huge outcry left PresidentToure, with little option: he announced that for the sake of national unity he was sending the law back to parliament for a second reading.

The head of Mali's High Islamic Council says he was pleased with the president's decision.

Women's groups are heartbroken - it has been more than 10 years that they have been trying to get a change to the law.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
RE: Yet another result of Muslim thinking.
This is very sad, but, like female circumcision, more to do with African culture being justified by Islamic beliefs. Looking at things like this within Islam is like looking at Christianity 500 years ago in Europe. Hopefully things will change.
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Or Christianity nowadays. Or didn't you hear about Prop 8? Stem cell research? Freakin' intelligent design?

500 years ago it was just more sensationalist because we were killing people over it (in exact accordance with the Bible, I might add. Remember, stone those who work on the Sabbath.)

But these Muslims aren't advocating killing people, they're just saying a certain element of their population is less worthy of rights than the rest of it. You know, like we do with gays (and atheists, according to George H.W. Bush.)

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
08-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Gt, honestly, that's why I asked you which country you were from. I have to remind myself that this country is not like the US. There is no (not really) pro-life here! No real problem with stem cell, etc. It's here, but not to the degree you see it. That was my point, and I totally agree with you.
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Where are you from, Zag?

08-27-2009, 06:40 PM
United Kingdom. It's strange, but seriously, the UK is much more atheist / agnostic than it necessarly presents to the world.
08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
But that's the point. The UK, Canada, and Australia are notably more atheist/agnostic than the US, and there's notably less cases of discrimination and other insane stuff like was listed above. Religion causes problems.

09-24-2009, 10:56 AM
The people who could not be sincerely religious cause problems I would say
02-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Women are required to obey their husbands, and this as same as husbands and wives owe each other loyalty and protection.

Women can get rid from their husbands by the judgment

If she love him
She should marry him
And obey him after marriage
Or I am not force to marriage him
If the bride refuse to marriage
And was force to
So the marriages will be fornication
It is illegal to marry without our choice

"Women get greater inheritance rights,"
In Islam
To Women money should be expended by:
Her husband
(If there was no husband then by)
Her sun
(If there was no sun then by)
Her father
(If there was no father)
Her brother
(If there was no brother then by)
Her uncle
(If there was no uncle then by)
The sun of her sisters or brothers
So it so fair in most state in Islam man takes greater inheritance rights
In some states the women take more
The law of inheritance is so complicated

"And the minimum age for girls to marry in most circumstances is raised to 18."
The girl after being adult become marry
02-03-2010, 09:13 AM
(08-27-2009 06:58 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  But that's the point. The UK, Canada, and Australia are notably more atheist/agnostic than the US, and there's notably less cases of discrimination and other insane stuff like was listed above. Religion causes problems.

It's not that we're more atheist it's because the radical christians can't get a foothold, we think they're stupid. Australia is basically catholic and america is basically lutheran, puritan. We are to an extent descended from convicts, so we have a healthy disregard for authority, and anyone who tries to exercise it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can a Muslim woman marry a Non-Muslim? Azrael17 16 5,150 08-05-2010 01:11 AM
Last Post: super.girl
Exclamation Deep Thinking- Full Text Book ahmetsecer 0 655 09-14-2008 09:32 AM
Last Post: ahmetsecer
  Deep Thinking- Video ahmetsecer 0 538 08-17-2008 09:59 AM
Last Post: ahmetsecer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)