Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
atheism and science
06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
atheism and science
how does science influence your belief (or lack of) in the supernatural.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
RE: atheism and science
In ways it does. Science explains things much better than the bible or any other holy scripts. As in the Bible it just tells "Then God created earth" etc. Science actually tryes to explain HOW it all happened.
11-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Science is a method of discovery, where the bible and other religious texts come up with an ultimate truth, it attempts to expand our knowledge based on what we can observe. It acknowledges, unlike religion, that since we do not have knowledge of everything we cannot claim to know the meaning or explanation of the universe. Science attempts to move towards this goal of completet understanding by slowing building upon our knowledge.

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm a christian and science doesn't really alter my beliefs; in fact, it reinforces them. Science explains what we are and how we got here, while my christian faith explains why I am here and what I should do. To me, science is indeed a 'method of discovery' as Athos defined, but also a method of discovering the genius of God and all of his handiwork. My faith in God is what motivates me to learn more about his methods of creation, which is science.

One thing I don't understand is that people always ask "can you scientifically prove God exists" when science is defined as 'the study of all things natural' and God is supernatural, meaning that he is outside of time and space, and is thus impossible to prove scientifically. But I am not one whose knowledge is completely limited to whatever light science has shed on our universe. There are many things science has yet to reveal to us, such as what events occurred before the Big Bang and how self-replicating organisms came into existance, and I honestly don't know if science can and will be able to answer 'everything.'

One thing I have noticed as a reason why atheistic scientists are so opposed to religion is because of the "God of the Gaps" disease many people of faith suffer from. I would encourage all people of faith to do extensive scientific research before unnecessarily wagering your faith on something that science could prove in the future. I can see why atheistic scientists can easily get sick of hearing from religious people at times.
11-25-2008, 02:08 AM
You do seem to be admitting that your faith in a god has no reasonable basis and that you simply believe, I personally dislike the idea of taking something at faith without a reason to do so. It is possible that it helps your personal wellbeing but to take something with trust to me requires some reasoning to do this. For example I may trust a long time friend at face value on certain things, or a well published scientist who is respected within the scientific community on others. To allow people to tell you what you should think and do based on an unprovable concept for which there is little well established physical evidence is not an idea I would welcome.

11-25-2008, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2008 01:16 PM by JonathanT.)
What do you mean by no reasonable basis? I have plenty reason to believe in God, and to read the Bible and live my life to the fullest.

What you seem to be admitting yourself is that you depend completely on science and reason with no reguard to anything else. You seem totally banked on reason to prove everything for you, just for that sense of satisfaction that you officially 'know' something. You seem completely limited to whatever your eyes, ears, nose, nerves, and tastebuds can sense. What would happen to you if even one of your beloved senses were corrupted or destroyed? It would be similar to looking out a broken telescope and being absolutely sure every star you saw was in its right position. But let me assure you, the knowledge I have that God exists is the most sure thing in my life, and you can make fun of me for that if you desire, but the unshakeable feeling I have that this universe isn't the only thing in store for us has caused permanent results...I will never ever ever stop believing. I don't need my eyes, ears, nose, nerves or tastebuds to 'know' that God exists, and that's what I love about faith; it is unlimited.
11-26-2008, 12:16 AM
By reason I mean rational thought, the idea that all things must follow from something else and that nothing is independant, not reasons that you should believe but evidence for someone to think there is a god.
In terms of senses we can only do the best with what we have, that is why things like science and history derive models to work things out as best we can see. How do we know this world physically exists, we cannot be sure but we can only make the most 'reasonable' judgements as possible

11-26-2008, 10:53 AM

i guess you can say that because we cant see hear taste of feel something it might be real. but until you have real physical evidence to support it, all you have is a theory (not a scientific theory, just a plain old theory).
if i tell you i know what god is (a unicorn) and thats a fact, you would either not believe me or demand proof to support my claim.
im asking you for the same thing with your god.

why does your god get a pass when it comes to evidence?

Quote:But let me assure you, the knowledge I have that God exists is the most sure thing in my life

so you are unsure that the sun is shining or the beat of your heart is real but you are positive that god is...how?

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
11-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Science showed me (to my satisfaction) that no God is needed.

Then, with the freedom to not have to believe in God, I reread the Bible: that turned me into an atheist.
12-02-2008, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2008 01:05 AM by CosmoRad110.)
My whole belief system is based on science, if anything goes against physics then i don't believe it is possible. And like Grunfeld i too reread the bible from time to time and it just confuses me why people believe in this. So over all science its my belief system i don't believe in anything else. As far as after life goes i don't know and no one else knows either so in time things will be discovered and well have to go on from there. And as far as what Jonathan said in his first reply that basically science proves that God exists and so on and so forth and i don't know how you can say that when Science disproves God in every which way and there is in no way that science helps faith in god.

-CosmoRad

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)