Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
bible question
07-31-2013, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 08:05 PM by Medic.)
bible question
Can someone tell me what the message god was trying to put forth in 2 Kings 2:23-24...I'm having trouble understanding why this would happen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2013, 08:08 PM
RE: bible question
(07-31-2013 07:58 PM)Medic Wrote:  Can someone tell me what the message god was trying to put forth in 2 Kings 2:23-24...I'm having trouble understanding why this would happen.

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

I guess god only likes bears. And baldys'. 42 dead boys in exchange for an insult. He sounds a really fair god. NOT
07-31-2013, 08:26 PM
It could have been 42 delinquent young men actually, ready to kill the prophet. I believe the Hebrew calls these guys "youth"? They weren't necessarily little children.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-31-2013, 08:39 PM
then why doesn't the bible say they tried to kill Elisha, there were no qualms about dictating how the bears killed the boys...it only states they were insulting him....or are you just trying to make excuses? Do you think the bible is that ambiguous?
07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
It was a preemptive strike then? Bit like Iraq?
07-31-2013, 08:53 PM
I figure youth in those days in the culture of ancient Israel would not go out of their way to insult unless they were delinquents. Why do I say this? I believe insulting parents was punishable under the Mosaic law in some ugly way, so the only youth to go out of their way to harass an old man for his baldness would be the delinquent type. That is, the type that willfully disrespects the law and engages in practical gang behavior. And what to expect of gangsters insulting a bald man, especially when there's 42 of them?

I'd expect some sort of physical beat-up was coming. They didn't try to kill him but who can say they wouldn't have?

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-31-2013, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 08:56 PM by Medic.)
so an insult to a prophet is reason enough for god to kill them....how is that benevolence?

how is god killing anyone an act of benevolence?
07-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Next time you're in a dark alley and 42 gangsters come up, looking like they're about to rape you or beat you up or kill you and begin by harassing you with taunts, and suddenly they drop dead before you, let me know how social justice-y you feel about wanting them to live and hating God for allowing them to die (if he really exists).

07-31-2013, 09:04 PM
nice one, if you have to twist what the bible says to be able to keep believing, then well....there's not much more to say. you turn 42 children calling a man "baldy" into 42 gangsters getting to rape and kill someone in a dark alley....props to you!
07-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Whatever happened to a fair trial? It's still very capricious right? We go from "some boys" to "gangsters in a dark alley". And then "jeered at him. Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” to "looking like they're about to rape you or beat you up or kill you"... Talk about filling in the gaps to make it fit. Come on now get real please.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A simple question about the Bible writemyheart 54 8,171 01-19-2015 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sue D.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)