Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can somebody explain to me what is LOGOS?
12-09-2008, 08:41 AM
can somebody explain to me what is LOGOS?
dear members
creation is created by the names of GOD. can somebody explain to me the true meaning of LOGOS? or struct and unstruct melodies? which melodies are DUAL and which are not? AT THE BEGINNING, THERE WAS A WORD, THE WORD WAS WITH GOD, AND THE WORD WAS GOD....please discuss.. thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
RE: can somebody explain to me what is LOGOS?
Google "define:logos"
12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
harcharanjit Wrote:dear members
creation is created by the names of GOD. can somebody explain to me the true meaning of LOGOS? or struct and unstruct melodies? which melodies are DUAL and which are not? AT THE BEGINNING, THERE WAS A WORD, THE WORD WAS WITH GOD, AND THE WORD WAS GOD....please discuss.. thanks
if i understand your question, then it means that in the beginning, there was nothing but god.
12-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Messenger Wrote:Google "define:logos"

You should be looking at the bible for the answer not google
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
harcharanjit Wrote:
Messenger Wrote:Google "define:logos"

You should be looking at the bible for the answer not google
is this a quiz or do you actaully need an answer?
09-23-2014, 12:43 AM
Just looking around at old threads; I thought it would be fun to respond to this one.

I use the KJV, so I'll refer to its translation for my comments.

John 1:1-5:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.:

Some related passages:

John 3:35:
The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
John 5:22:
For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
John 7:16:
Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

Now, I am no linguist. I think shiverleaf is better qualified for that than I. But to the best of my understanding, the word "logos" is translated as "The Word". I use the definite article on purpose because I think (in a religious context) it conveys "authority". I also think that "Logos" and "The Word" can be substituted with "The Reason & The Responsibility".

The reason I think my word exchange is legitimate is because of what John 3:35 says. A reader of scripture may have noticed that much is made of the first born being the primary heir. The first reaction to this is that The Father was playing favorites. In actuality it is because The Father expects His firstborn Son to use what He is given for the benefit of His brothers and sisters. This is bourn out buy the sacrifice Christ made (The Atonement) on our behalf.

John 5:22 & 7:16 amplify the significance of "The Word" denoting Christ's status as judge as well as His office as the deliverer and executor of the Father's doctrine.

With the above as a starting place, we can analyze John 1:1-5. by verse by verse.

1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jesus Christ is the "Logos", "The Word", "The Authority"... "The Reason & The Responsibility". In the beginning means the preparations for and the organization of this earth. The Word being with God, means Christ was with The Father in that beginning and that Christ had the status of God (which is a title of office, not a name for a specific individual).

2: The same was in the beginning with God. This is explained in my comments for the 1st verse.

3: All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. Jesus Christ (who btw is the same person as Jehovah the God of the Old Testament) Is the Father's executor in all things regarding the Father's plan for His children. As such, Christ is sometimes called the Father of Heaven and Earth because He did the creating... or rather, organizing from eternally existing matter. This office is not to be confused with the Father of our spirits.

4: In him was life; and the life was the light of men. Jesus Christ, because He is The Reason & The Responsibility, is the first cause for bringing life into the world which is passed along to us by the power of procreation. Christ being the light means that He is the source of all knowledge and truth. (As a side note: The domain of truth includes science and true religion. Man's inability and refusal to reconcile the two does not mean that the two cannot be reconciled.)

5: And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. This goes to what I just said about man's inability and refusal to reconcile science and religion. Christ provides knowledge as we are able to receive it and as He determines that it is expedient for us to receive it. The thing to keep in mind here is that advances in technology do not indicate progress within the purpose for which we are here in mortality. Anyone can look at history and readily see that despite science and technology, man is still as inhuman to his fellow man as ever. It is peace and relationships between men that is the main focus of God's intellectual and physical gifts. But, because we are as eternal as all things are (we are just passing through a phase) we therefore have agency, However we don't always want to respect what we have been given and consequently we don't use our agency well. We always existed, otherwise agency would not be possible. God is just trying to help us advance along a path of progression, but we have to use our agency to cooperate.

Christ is The Reason we exist and He is responsible for us until He puts all enemies under His feet and presents the completed work to the Father.

One last comment concerning the meaning of "logos". There is a professor of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies out at BYU in Utah. His name is Daniel C Peterson. In describing Logos, He says that the Quran (sp?) is not so much equivalent to the Bible as it is to Christ Himself as the Logos. I add this only to help with understanding what logos means.
09-23-2014, 09:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos
09-23-2014, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 11:36 AM by ether-ore.)
(09-23-2014 09:53 AM)Vana Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos

Yes... already read it. I understand that the term "logos" is applied differently in various memes.

But my understanding of the OP was that "harcharanjit" wanted logos to be discussed in terms of John 1. I'll admit that the OP also said something about "melodies". In another forum... the "Interfaith Forum"... the topic was touched on by one "dhillon". The way it was written suggests that it might be the same individual.

In it he states: "In the whole region of MAYA, melodies that are heard are called struct melodies, when two things comes in contact.. here the EGO I still exist.. but what will happen when EGO is completely surrendered, will the melodies will still remain struct or will change to unstruct melodies, not created by two things anymore?"

As near as I can determine from the context, these "melodies" are the logos in that meme. The "struct" and "unstruct" terms (to me) mean structured or unstructured (or maybe "destructured"); meaning... having something to do with the question of agency (ego) and the duality of the logos. I think the OP wanted to know what other's thoughts were concerning whether the logos lost its duality upon the surrender of one's will.

In terms of the Gospel according to Christianity; when an individual is obedient to Christ, they become one in purpose with Him just as Christ is one in purpose with the Father. It is this oneness that enables the Atonement to take effect.

Not being absolutely sure what the OP was asking; I'm interest in other thoughts.
09-23-2014, 11:59 AM
well ive heard two simple definitions for Logos;

Logos is God or Logos is all existence.

it depends on who you ask i guess. people hear words then reiterate meanings, so whos telling what someone actually means when they say these kinda things. its all up for interpretation.
09-23-2014, 03:08 PM
(09-23-2014 11:59 AM)Vana Wrote:  well ive heard two simple definitions for Logos;

Logos is God or Logos is all existence.

it depends on who you ask i guess. people hear words then reiterate meanings, so whos telling what someone actually means when they say these kinda things. its all up for interpretation.

I agree that it is absolutely up for interpretation. The question then becomes: Should all interpretations be considered equally valid or equally worthless? Or, just maybe there is "one" that is accurate? If so, then the question is: How does one determine which? Unfortunately, these questions don't seem to hold any importance for most. There may be some tragedy in that.

Since this thread doesn't seem to be getting any more traction than it did the first time, I guess we'll just have to leave it to interpretation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Where appropriate/ applies to you please explain to me...... Leosnake 28 1,528 04-28-2014 09:41 AM
Last Post: Leosnake
  Help explain this. scubadiver 22 1,968 10-03-2011 01:02 AM
Last Post: Hombre
  explain bc and ad for me please.! AlvaLeo 7 1,313 03-16-2011 05:19 PM
Last Post: MRlogic
  Use of design logos branding company luxesally 0 386 08-19-2010 12:30 AM
Last Post: luxesally
  KEVLAR - Please explain what it is you believe in (What are you arguing for?) Secular Hobbit 39 4,685 05-09-2010 06:56 PM
Last Post: Secular Hobbit
Exclamation Antichrist & Babylon of Rev.13,17-18 explain most history & 9/11 godislove 11 2,900 12-15-2008 12:32 PM
Last Post: godislove
  explain bc and ad for me please. smellycat 1 1,496 12-07-2008 04:48 PM
Last Post: B MAN

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)