Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
definition of religion
09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
definition of religion
What is your definition of religion and belief?
What does religion provide us with? and what does belief provide us with? Why does it have to be a discussion of "both/and" rather than "either/or",...like why are the two necessary in faith development rather than one or the other?

jagdish tytler
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2009, 08:52 AM
RE: definition of religion
Faith is a belief system. We all have faith in many things, with various amounts of evidence to support our faith.

Religion, on the other hand, is an institution. My old pastor (back when I was christian) once described it as the method by which faith gets translated for humans. I always liked that explanation, because it's sort of true. Like all translations, it is inherently flawed (some more than others.)

Faith is personal. Religion is not. Religion is big, and it often takes on a life of its own. Religion is a force behind countless wars, oppressions, and cruelties throughout history.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-09-2009, 12:40 PM
GT, I agree totally with you!

(I know, I know ... what's this world coming to, right?!?) Big Grin

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
09-10-2009, 05:14 PM
(09-09-2009 06:55 AM)triks Wrote:  What is your definition of religion and belief?
What does religion provide us with? and what does belief provide us with? Why does it have to be a discussion of "both/and" rather than "either/or",...like why are the two necessary in faith development rather than one or the other?

I think faith is a capability given to humans that allows them build decision about unseen realities using both mind and soul.

Religion is the faith practiced by humans.
09-14-2009, 04:23 AM
(09-09-2009 08:52 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Faith is a belief system. We all have faith in many things, with various amounts of evidence to support our faith.

Religion, on the other hand, is an institution. My old pastor (back when I was christian) once described it as the method by which faith gets translated for humans. I always liked that explanation, because it's sort of true. Like all translations, it is inherently flawed (some more than others.)

Faith is personal. Religion is not. Religion is big, and it often takes on a life of its own. Religion is a force behind countless wars, oppressions, and cruelties throughout history.

GT,
I agree with what you posted here... My opinion is if you believe in God and Entities you don't need to trap yourself in religion. guiding yourself through examples of positive role-models in and out of religion to better yourself is Best.
09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
So, friend, what denomination are you? What church do you go to?

I have talked to a lot of Christians over the years, and universally (almost) the Protestants all hate religion. Which is interesting, since they ARE one.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
(09-14-2009 11:18 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  I have talked to a lot of Christians over the years, and universally (almost) the Protestants all hate religion. Which is interesting, since they ARE one.

Interesting observation. By contrast this former Catholic does not hate religion. I just have no need for it anymore. I can see both the good and bad aspects of the Catholic Church, from education and charity work that can be astoundingly good at its best, to stances on social issues that simply do not recognize the state of the world today, to genuine horrors, past and present. This seems to be the attitude of many former Catholics.
09-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I think what I'm trying to say is that lots of Christians say, "We don't like religion, what we like is faith." But of course what they have is religion. Just a near-constant hypocrisy I've noticed.

09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
(09-14-2009 11:33 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  I think what I'm trying to say is that lots of Christians say, "We don't like religion, what we like is faith." But of course what they have is religion. Just a near-constant hypocrisy I've noticed.

Or perhaps exactly the problem. A religion is usually an organization that at least has the potential to do what I see as the original purpose of religion: the preservation of a community by facilitating the efficiencies of joint efforts, the observation of common codes of behavior, and the passing on of traditions oriented to the survival of the community.

Faith as distinct from organized religion might engender enjoyable mental states but so what? The obsession with the next world and the fixation on faith alone as the key to that strikes me as counter-producrtive to what religion ought to be about - this world. The next world is a reward, or punishment, for what you do here and now and the consequences of those actions.
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Except that religion is inextricably tied, not to logic, but to dogma. To inflexible moral rules passed down from generation to generation with no regard whatsoever for actual circumstances. As such, they are extremely poor at dealing with "this world", while extremely good at justifying the worst, most heinous actions of "the faithful".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The definition of 'religion'. duplemap 8 1,541 02-08-2017 11:50 PM
Last Post: clusium
  Atheism/Agnosticism and Definition shiverleaf15 2 457 09-19-2014 04:09 PM
Last Post: Guy Threepwood
  Seeking a definition... SilentJimbo 4 716 10-08-2013 11:58 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)