Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
genetically modified?
07-30-2013, 09:15 PM
genetically modified?
An Oxford professor, Julian Savulescu said that creating so-called designer babies could be considered a "moral obligation". So, when genetic testing reveals the baby in the womb, may be pre-disposed to be aggressive,
(When the technology is there)
should the mom be morally obligated to abort the baby?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scien...essor.html

"I challenge...to come up with one practical application of biology that would have been impossible were it not for the hypothesis of evolution" Sonenthal, New Scientist
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2013, 09:23 PM
RE: genetically modified?
I would use a beter example. I see what you trying to say, but agression is a behavior and you are opening up the nature nurture debate.

As for things like desease or mmutations of dangerous sorts...id say there is some degree of moral obligation to "fix" (for lack of a better term) the genes.

Ištu dumqim amqut, u anaku anmiq
07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
No, we have seen multiple examples of humans trying to "fix" problems and ending up with worse problems. Many diseases or disorders actually help others to survive. For example, people with sickle cell anemia do not get malaria. Many people with personality disorders are geniuses. Blind, deaf, mute people have done extraordinary things in their lives. Stephen Hawking is a prime example of a genius in a body that is diseased and even if a person is totally disabled and can not function without being sustained by others, that person can have a profound affect on everyone around them.
We don't toss out someone because they do not fit our idea of perfection. I have horrible eyesight, a bad temper and am moody, but I see things others do not. I will defend you with every power available to me and protect your from all harm without fear of my own safety because of that temper.
I think our real obligation is not to abort someone with a defect, but to train them to use that defect or control it so that they do good in society, not harm.
Many faults are actually evolutionary traits that will help us survive in conditions outside the norm, so we need that diversity. The more we become complacent and just like everyone else, the less we grow and learn and experiment. Sometimes the most rebellious people are the ones who bring about the greatest change, but we do have a moral obligation to shape people into good beings and discourage them from harming others and only serving their selfish needs and disrespecting others.
07-30-2013, 09:50 PM
(07-30-2013 09:23 PM)Achrelos Wrote:  I would use a beter example. I see what you trying to say, but agression is a behavior and you are opening up the nature nurture debate.
Aggression may be linked to your DNA. There are a few current studies to determine if someone is pre-disposed to aggression.
example
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2...story.html

So the question still is... Should moms be morally obligated to abort if genetics shows the baby may may a personality disorder.

"I challenge...to come up with one practical application of biology that would have been impossible were it not for the hypothesis of evolution" Sonenthal, New Scientist
07-30-2013, 09:53 PM
The key words were "when the technology is there." Thi is hypathetical and not bound by the limmitations we currently have. Are you saying that if a doctor say your future child would die at age 5 because of a genetic defect that you would not let them "fix" the defect? Especially in thi hypathetical world where they have technology capable of doing it?

Ištu dumqim amqut, u anaku anmiq
07-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Quote:Are you saying that if a doctor say your future child would die at age 5 because of a genetic defect that you would not let them "fix" the defect? Especially in thi hypathetical world where they have technology capable of doing it?

I can't say for sure, but off the top of my head, I would say no. However, I cannot say positively, because I have never been put in that position. I can say definitively that if it were any other sort of problem, disability, or disease, I would oppose it.
07-31-2013, 12:09 AM
(07-30-2013 09:50 PM)Fossilgirl Wrote:  Aggression may be linked to your DNA. There are a few current studies to determine if someone is pre-disposed to aggression.

I guess the question is if we are morally obligated to abort the next Hitler. If we could know with absolute certainty that a fetus would be the next Hitler, the case might be made that we'd be morally obligated to kill it before it attempts genocide. But genetics can't let us predict such things. Being human predisposes us to violence... and kindness, amongst other predispositions.

Join Atheism Today! Be sure to ask about our sexy parties. Big Grin
07-31-2013, 01:23 AM
If we are morally obliged to discard the bad, what will happen to the morality of our society, say in 500 years time? I mean can morality be also genetically engineered?
07-31-2013, 05:10 AM
(07-31-2013 01:23 AM)KellyKep Wrote:  If we are morally obliged to discard the bad, what will happen to the morality of our society, say in 500 years time?

It would be without bad? Are you going to tell me that's a bad thing? That would be quite the paradox.

Quote:I mean can morality be also genetically engineered?

Nope. Genetics can't let us predict such things, let alone control them.

Join Atheism Today! Be sure to ask about our sexy parties. Big Grin
07-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes, I agree on that. It appears that people do not understand that morality develops from human nature. The drivers for pleasure and pain and the balance between the need to belong are the forces that develop morality, not genetic engineering.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)