Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
hi i'm new
03-10-2010, 04:29 PM
hi i'm new
hey everyone, glad to be here!
i'm an Urartian Polytheist. Urartu was ancient near eastern culture from Armenia.

no surviving mythology exists, but the pantheon has similarities with Mesopotamian and Hurrian. I mainly worship the Triad of Khaldi, Teisheba, and Sivini...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2010, 09:58 PM
RE: hi i'm new
Welcome, but how can you believe in a specific religion if no mythology from it exists? Is it just the pantheon you believe in? And wouldn't information about that also be part of the mythology?

HelpThisLife | Anime Forums
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2010, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2010 11:37 PM by Ishpuini.)
(03-10-2010 09:58 PM)ladyunicornejg Wrote:  Welcome, but how can you believe in a specific religion if no mythology from it exists? Is it just the pantheon you believe in? And wouldn't information about that also be part of the mythology?

hi ladyunicornejg

yep i believe in the pantheon, but the specific religion itself would be pretty difficult trying to reconstruct, like the rituals, holidays, and stories about the gods. Urartian art reveals almost the entire pantheon, including nice vivid representations of several deities and lesser spirits, and other cultic imagery....it can tell us a little bit about how the divine world was understood. So thats a big plus.

As far as the core religious part....I look at other ancient near eastern religions for my inspiration, on how to go about practicing my faith in the gods.
03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Hmm...Interesting. Nice to know; thanks for the answer.

And on another note, I can't believe I'm the only one to welcome you so far or even the first... generally I'm just nobody here who reads things occasionally, offers random advice, and almost never posts much of anything (hence my low postcount despite being here for quite some time).

HelpThisLife | Anime Forums
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2010, 04:36 AM
hi there from a JEHOVAHS WITNESS
03-11-2010, 05:28 AM
It's raining more of us! Run!

Happy to have you. I had not heard of Teisheba, but I know of the Hurrian Teshub. Now that I've looked Teisheba up on wiki, they do seem to be quite similar. As someone who relies on parallel mythologies for my own Slavic tradition, I can relate. This is comparable to the situation with my own Slavic storm god Perun, who is better preserved in his Baltic form of a similar name and function.
03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
High there polytheist #227. Your room is on the left, down the hall, past the cafeteria, above the gymnasium, through the main dormitory, and inside the the big blue door.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)