Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
is there a difference between, the Christian Old Testament & the Torah?
09-23-2009, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2009 01:17 AM by Azrael17.)
is there a difference between, the Christian Old Testament & the Torah?
I want to know because I read the Old Testament in the Protestant Christian Bible it's a New International Version.

I mostly want to know if any one Changed the meaning of any thing in any of the books that are now in the Christian Old Testament,
So please if their's a Rabi out their that knows a lot about Judaism and Christianity then please help me.

I need a Jew who knows a lot about Christianity but isn't a Christian so I know their not deceiving me.

I'm a Researcher who studies world Religion's.
Not just Western ones either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2009, 06:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2009 06:05 AM by Parousia.)
RE: is there a difference between, the Christian Old Testament & the Torah?
(09-23-2009 01:16 AM)Azrael17 Wrote:  I want to know because I read the Old Testament in the Protestant Christian Bible it's a New International Version.

I mostly want to know if any one Changed the meaning of any thing in any of the books that are now in the Christian Old Testament,
So please if their's a Rabi out their that knows a lot about Judaism and Christianity then please help me.

I need a Jew who knows a lot about Christianity but isn't a Christian so I know their not deceiving me.

I'm a Researcher who studies world Religion's.
Not just Western ones either.

The Hebrew Bible is the Tanakh, an acronym deriving from the Hebrew words for Law, Prophets and Writings, the three sections. The Torah is just the Law, the counterpart of the first five books of the Christian Old Testament.

The Christian Old Testament derives ultimately from the Septuagint, a Greek version of the Hebrew sciptures that would later become the canonical Tanakh. (The Hebrew scriptures became the Tanakh, that is.) The Septuagint was intended for use by Jews of the Diaspora who no longer were fluent in Hebrew. Even at the time of Jesus, there were noticeable differences between the Septuagint and the writings it was derived from, although the Torah was the best represented.

There are of course many versions in numerous languages of the Christian Old Testament deriving from a variety of old manuscripts and translated in various styles. But the only authoratative Tanakh is in Hebrew.
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Yes. The main difference is that the torah contains the first five books of the old testament. The Tenakh (Tanakh) however contains all the same books as the old testament and also contains the torah.
10-07-2009, 03:18 AM
What Types of Jewish Denominations are there and what makes them different?
For example in Christianity:
We have Gnostics, Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, and Mormon.
Most Christians are either Protestant or Catholic.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
(10-06-2009 02:28 PM)XxXHjJXxX Wrote:  Yes. The main difference is that the torah contains the first five books of the old testament. The Tenakh (Tanakh) however contains all the same books as the old testament and also contains the torah.
It doesn't contain the Deuterocanonicals, they took that out during the 1st or 2nd century.

About the different versions of Judaism, there are Orthodox, Reform, Conservative, and Hasidic. There are also a few minor ones, but those are relatively unimportant to these four.
06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
to get down the real real answer to the question. there are no changes to the Torah/Old Testament. The only true difference between them is that Jews interpret it as directly through God while Christians take the OT and interpret it in terms of how it illuminates Christ/Christ-like principles.
07-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Yah, Ximike1009, the "jews is the smartest man in the world," but the women are fricken' morons. (I kid, I kid.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  THE OLD TESTAMENT and ME RonPrice 28 2,236 10-28-2017 07:13 AM
Last Post: Jayhawker Soule
  The King's Torah Visqueen 24 6,580 12-11-2015 10:00 AM
Last Post: KAYSER
  New Prophets and Adding to the Torah Achrelos 2 711 02-26-2015 02:20 PM
Last Post: Achrelos
  A good Torah. WhoKnows 7 2,352 01-19-2010 09:37 AM
Last Post: Parousia
Exclamation Wisdom And Sound Advice From The Torah- Full Text Book ahmetsecer 1 1,951 12-29-2009 03:05 PM
Last Post: alhzn74
Exclamation Wisdom from Torah- Site ahmetsecer 0 800 10-19-2008 05:24 AM
Last Post: ahmetsecer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)