Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 2.4 Average
islam vs christianity debate
12-13-2009, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2009 01:18 AM by mobkem.)
islam vs christianity debate
See islam vs christianity debate

Preview of the debate between Shk. Deedat and Dr. Swaggart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FALhbw6Ef_o

And u can see more here
http://english.truthway.tv/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2009, 09:17 PM
RE: islam vs christianity debate
I cant really see why this debate ever occurred. The Jewish/Christian God ie the God of Abraham is not the same as the islamic God Al-Ilah. Muslims will try and say that they are the same, but the history and traditions of Islam show they are different. So in my view a debate is pointless.

regards

Phill
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Actually they are pretty much exactly the same from any neutral 3rd party view. Really, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam can be seen as sects of the same Abrahamic religion. Islam is really no different than Mormonism is from mainstream Christianity. The Muslims just consider the Quran to supersede the Bible, just like the Mormons consider the Book of Mormon to do so. It's definitely a different set of beliefs, but it's based on the same foundation.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
12-30-2009, 02:04 PM
(12-28-2009 09:17 PM)Phill Wrote:  The Jewish/Christian God ie the God of Abraham is not the same as the islamic God Al-Ilah.

If we look in the old Testament we really see two very different looking Gods. Yahweh is transcendent, strict and generally accessible only through the priests. Elohim is more 'in the world', personal and directly accessible by indivduals.

In Christianity, we see a concept of God that is incomprehensible to Jews (and Muslims for that matter). God has three persons and one of them is human?

It does not seem to me that the Muslim Al-Ilah (which just means The God) would need to be excluded in this already broad category. (I hope you are not confusing the Muslim Al-Ilah with the old Moon God of the pre-Islamic polytheism. That was the chief god and referred to as the god.)
12-30-2009, 02:50 PM
12-30-2009, 04:23 PM
(12-30-2009 02:50 PM)Phill Wrote:  I am referring to the Musilm God as being Al-Ilah. Have done plenty of study on this and have come to this conclusion (in my view). One of the things that convince me of this is that Mohammad included the Sabeans as true believers in the God. Now we all know that the Sabeans worshipped the Moon God. Another point is that when Mohammad was preaching Monotheism (Allah) his brethren only ever had a problem in that he got rid of all their other dieties except one. So why didnt his brethren have a problem with this new suposedly totaly different God ???. It is because they already knew who he was. Mohammad just gave their God the traits of the Abrahamic one.

We can see in the Old Testament the merging of two religious traditions: the Yahweh religion of the immigrants from Egypt, and the Elohim religion already existing in Canaan. This Elohim religion may have been polytheistic. The word Elohim is plural even though uses of it in reference to the monotheistic God are clearly singular in intent as a singular verb or adjective is usually used. Grammatically speaking, this use of a plural form with singular intent is a unique event in Hebrew. The same word Elohim is also used to refer to polytheistic gods of other cultures and in Psalm 82 even to a council of other ‘gods’ subservient to the one God.

Various rituals of Christianity bear more than a passing resemblance to the Dionysian Mystery rites, although Paul, who first writes about them, is clearly not promoting Dionysus but a new variant of Judaism. However we may note that his converts were by and large gentiles (i.e., pagans) who would have been familiar with those rites. The history of Christianity is filled with the importation of the trappings of other religions previously followed by converts.

But today, Jews and Christians have very little or even no concept of the early evolution of their religions. Likewise, Muslims today would be puzzled by references to Allah as a Moon God. In the present-day widely-held concepts of God in Judaism, Christianity and Islam, the differences between the first two and Islam are no greater than between Judaism and Christianity themselves. IMO there is really no reasonable justification for labeling Allah as a different God without performing a similar distinction between Judaism and Christianity.
12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Parousia your points do have merit. I do disagree that I must make similar distinctions between Judaism and the Christian God as there is a clear path between the old Testament and New. God spoke through his old Testament Prophets of this coming (the Messiah Jesus). God Practiced tough Love in the old Testament like a parent does to a child at times today.

In my view The God of Islam is so so different to the Jewish/Christian God, if it is that the Quran is indeed the word of God ? as preached by Muslims, then they are truly different and not one and the same with a large personality disorder. The only other theory that could be correct is that the Koran is man made and not the word of God.
12-30-2009, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2009 07:06 PM by Parousia.)
(12-30-2009 05:35 PM)Phill Wrote:  Parousia your points do have merit. I do disagree that I must make similar distinctions between Judaism and the Christian God as there is a clear path between the old Testament and New. God spoke through his old Testament Prophets of this coming (the Messiah Jesus). God Practiced tough Love in the old Testament like a parent does to a child at times today.

In my view The God of Islam is so so different to the Jewish/Christian God, if it is that the Quran is indeed the word of God ? as preached by Muslims, then they are truly different and not one and the same with a large personality disorder. The only other theory that could be correct is that the Koran is man made and not the word of God.

A Jew will contest that the OT prophecies have anything to do with Jesus or that the OT used by Christians bears much resemblance to the Tanakh. A Christian will claim that there is a direct link between OT and NT and will contest that the Quran has anything to do with the Bible at all. And a Muslim will claim that Isalm is the culmination of the

There does not seem to be a single Jewish/Christian God. There are several different personalities appearing in various places throughout the Bible, requiring several different ways of acting. And those are in parallel. If you want to talk about serial progression, there are the covenants of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus, all different. Islam is simply claiming that there has been yet another covenant, and it is different again.

However the whole kit and caboodle - Tanakah, Talmud, Septuagint, OT, NT, all the various differing collections of what Christians call THE Bible, AND the Quran - are all recognizably books on the same library shelf. This is a separate shelf from Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, Shintoist, and Confucian in the East, an even more disparate collection than the Abrahamic one. And there are several other shelves in this imaginary library, distinct from all of those.

There are those today who claim that Catholicism is utterly different, distant and disparate from 'real' Christianity that it might as well be (or maybe IS) devil worship. Distinctions can always be drawn, but the distinctions need to be applied consistently if they are to be taken seriously.
01-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Muslims do not worship the moon
Islam: Monotheism
Monotheism (in Greek monon = single and Theos = God) is the belief in a single, universal, all-encompassing. Muslims believe that all Messengers were sent to the face of this Earth to call people towards Monotheism.

The Last and Final Messenger of Allah Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)taught his companions to begin their call to the people to the Truth with Monotheism(Tawheed) .So he said to Mu’aadh ibn Jabal, when he (PBUH) sent him to Yemen: “So let the first thing you call them to be the testification that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah”. Tawheed is embodied in the testification “None has the right to be worshipped except Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah”. It is this testification which allows an unbeliever to enter Islam, since it is the key to paradise.

Verily all the Messengers began their call with tawheed, which they were commanded by Allah to convey it to the people. He, the Most High said

“We have not sent before you from the Messengers, except We inspired to him that He is the only One worthy of worship, so worship Him” The Holy Qur'an , Chapter 21, Verse 25

People of knowledge have divided Tawheed into three categories for better understanding.

1. Tawheed ur-Ruboobiyyah:

Ruboobiyyah is a term denoting absolute sovereignty and kingship of Allah over the Heavens and Earth and whatever is in between them.

This is an acknowledgement and firm belief that Allah the sublime is alone in

• Creating

• Owning and

• Regulating/Administering the Creation

2. Tawheed ul-Uloohiyyah:

This is the Unification of ALL the acts of the servants such as Supplication, taking oath and making sacrifice (slaughter), Hope, Fear, Reliance, Aspiration, Repentance, Remorse and all other acts of worship whether actions of the heart, tongue or limbs, for Allah, the Exalted alone.

3. Tawheed ul-Asmaa was-Sifaat:

Asmaa was Sifaat implies Names & Lofty Attributes

This is belief in the attributes by which Allah has described Himself or by which the Messenger (SAWS) described Him.

It includes the belief that there is nothing like unto Him and He is the Hearer, the Seer.

"Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him." The Holy Qur'an,Chapter 112,Verse 1-4.
01-08-2010, 12:58 AM
see Debate between Dr.Zakir Naik and Dr.William Campbell on "The Quran and the Bible in light of modern science

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=...of+Science

And
you can download it here: http://www.archive.org/details/QuranBibleScience

I hope enjoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Islam or Christianity? shiverleaf15 62 6,000 03-10-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  Between Islam and Christianity zohal77 36 5,810 03-10-2016 06:32 PM
  Judaism,Christianity,Islam, Unite! iholdit 46 11,172 03-10-2016 06:28 PM
Question The phoenix according to Christianity and Islam Omega Force 5 829 03-09-2016 01:02 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  Separation of state and religion in Christianity and Islam mahasn ebn sawresho 2 671 04-16-2014 05:44 AM
Last Post: mahasn ebn sawresho
  Attitude towards 'work' in Islam, Baha'i, Christianity and Judaism? Aum 7 1,905 12-08-2012 11:11 PM
Last Post: rosends
  Christianity and Islam: Similarities and Differences Stereophonic 14 7,938 08-07-2010 05:59 AM
Last Post: Ahmadi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)