Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
life after death
08-20-2009, 08:11 PM
life after death
Hello everyone. I'm a 27 year old recovering addict. I catch the bus 5 hours a day to a treatment center. I've really cleaned my life up. However when I'm riding the bus, every single day I think about life after death and if I'll ever see my loved ones again who past away.

I wont lie, I'm scared at the thought of us all dying and the world going on without us. I really want to believe in life after death and the heaven and hell belief, but I'm having a very hard time trying to convince myself of this. My family are devote christians and it makes it even harder for me.

I want to keep an open mind about all that is out there, but at the end of the day, I know better. I know believing is better than the alternative, but now I'm clean I can't get dying and what happens to us out of my head every single day. I don't mean for this to offend anybody b/c I really do want and hope the afterlife is how it's written in the Bible.

Can someone please enlighten me so I'm not worrying so much and ease my anxiety.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2009, 08:24 PM
RE: life after death
Well, you'll hear all sorts of theories on that here. But we're just men. We've got the same limited perspective as you. There's not one of us that has died and come back, and none of us know anyone who has, so there's no way to know what happens after death.

That might seem depressing, but really it's not. Our focus, the sum total of our experiences, are in life. Life is what we should be focused on. If it makes you feel better you can choose to believe one religion's story about life after death, or another's, but ultimately there are no guarantees. And to me, that's comforting.

I personally don't believe in a god. I simply see no evidence for him, and I see plenty of evidence against most interpretations of him. But even if I am wrong, I am confident that a benevolent god would not make it so difficult to see evidence for him, and then send souls to torment. Perhaps we will see our loved ones again after death, perhaps we will not. But whether we do or not, this life is what we have been granted. And this life is what we should focus on.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
(08-20-2009 08:11 PM)MLSJr Wrote:  Hello everyone. I'm a 27 year old recovering addict. I catch the bus 5 hours a day to a treatment center. I've really cleaned my life up. However when I'm riding the bus, every single day I think about life after death and if I'll ever see my loved ones again who past away.

I wont lie, I'm scared at the thought of us all dying and the world going on without us. I really want to believe in life after death and the heaven and hell belief, but I'm having a very hard time trying to convince myself of this. My family are devote christians and it makes it even harder for me.

I want to keep an open mind about all that is out there, but at the end of the day, I know better. I know believing is better than the alternative, but now I'm clean I can't get dying and what happens to us out of my head every single day. I don't mean for this to offend anybody b/c I really do want and hope the afterlife is how it's written in the Bible.

Can someone please enlighten me so I'm not worrying so much and ease my anxiety.

Greetings brother…

This forum appears to be mostly made up of non-theists and non-Christians….so you will not get much in the way of positive life after death support from most of the people replying to your thread.

As a Christian, you can be assured of eternal life with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, in which you will reside on God’s throne in Heaven for all eternity.

Since we all share an earthly body, we will constantly be in a struggle to please its needs and anxieties when, in fact, we need to be addressing the eternal spirit-side which also dwells within us and needs attention.

We are all programmed to worship. That is what separates us from the unreasoning beasts. What matters is that we worship the right thing…and that is the God of the Holy Bible.

To that end, I suggest continual Bible study and locating a good group of support Christians, either online or in your local area.

The support you get here, if any, most likely will negative…and not what your spirit truly desires…
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 08:44 PM by MLSJr.)
Thank you Apple7.
08-20-2009, 11:02 PM
(08-20-2009 08:35 PM)Apple7 Wrote:  This forum appears to be mostly made up of non-theists and non-Christians….so you will not get much in the way of positive life after death support from most of the people replying to your thread...

...The support you get here, if any, most likely will negative…and not what your spirit truly desires…

Gee whiz, Apple7. If you can't make a case for your belief without attacking others, you must not have much of an argument to rely on.

I think non-believers are completely competent to offer support to a new member asking honest questions. We may not have answers that you like, but they are answers nonetheless, and better supported by reality. So back off with the aspersions, stop poisoning the well, and let everyone participate.

To MLSJr;
I congratulate you on cleaning up. I hope things go well for you.

The prospect of death is something everyone confronts. There are no clear and easy answers, the only certainty we have is that our life will end someday. Some believe in an existence beyond this life. Personally, I see no evidence that this is so (though I'm honest enough to admit that I could be wrong).

If death is not the end, then what comes next? Despite Apple7's admirable certainty, there are no clear answers. Most believers would accept the role of faith in such matters, because without proof, there can only be faith. That is enough for many people. But not all.

But what if death is the end? What are the implications?

For this atheist, the knowledge that this is probably the only life I'll ever have makes it all the more precious. Therefore I should try to live my life well for myself and those around me, so that when my time ends, I'll have few regrets.

I suspect the believer also strives to live his/her life well in order to partake of their heavenly reward, or in gratitude for what they feel God has done for them.

For my part, I prefer the method of the unbeliever because I am free to decide what matters most in life, and work towards that goal, whereas the believer in general has such decisions made for him/her by someone else. But in the end, what does it matter what your beliefs are, if you have lived your allotted time well?

The non-existence I'll experience in death will likely be just like the non-existence I experienced before I was born; on reflection, that doesn't seem so bad.

---------------
Not selling anything.
08-21-2009, 08:25 AM
(08-20-2009 08:35 PM)Apple7 Wrote:  This forum appears to be mostly made up of non-theists and non-Christians….so you will not get much in the way of positive life after death support from most of the people replying to your thread.

Not so. There are a number of intelligent, literate theists around here. They seem to have been rather quiet lately is all. Vacations?
08-21-2009, 09:11 AM
(08-20-2009 11:02 PM)MerryAtheist Wrote:  If death is not the end, then what comes next? Despite Apple7's admirable certainty, there are no clear answers. Most believers would accept the role of faith in such matters, because without proof, there can only be faith. That is enough for many people. But not all.

Faith is acting upon established truth.

You would be cognizant of this if you took the time to study the Holy Bible.

As it is right now, you are a lost cause.
08-21-2009, 11:02 AM
(08-21-2009 09:11 AM)Apple7 Wrote:  Faith is acting upon established truth.

Hebrews 11:1

---------------
Not selling anything.
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
(08-21-2009 11:02 AM)MerryAtheist Wrote:  
(08-21-2009 09:11 AM)Apple7 Wrote:  Faith is acting upon established truth.

Hebrews 11:1

Like we said… “faith” is acting upon established Truth…

Heb 11.1 Now1161 faith4102 is2076 the substance5287 of things hoped for,1679 the evidence1650 of things4229 not3756 seen.991

G4102
πίστις
pistis
Thayer Definition:
1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man’s relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
1a) relating to God
1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
1b) relating to Christ
1b1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
1c) the religious beliefs of Christians
1d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
2) fidelity, faithfulness
2a) the character of one who can be relied on
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G3982
Citing in TDNT: 6:174, 849
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Guys, normally I'm all for showing how Apple does not understand definitions, but can we move it to a different thread? This guy came here actually looking for advice after a difficult time. Lets give him our perspectives and have a little respect.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, ralo 58 2,334 09-14-2016 11:21 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - Jaya Jagannath 7 1,294 10-20-2013 11:04 PM
Last Post: Huitaca

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)