Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
pope is picked by lot
02-09-2009, 06:55 AM
pope is picked by lot
didn,t Christ pick saul as an apostle.?so is the lot system flawed.?also why aren,t there 12 popes if this is the case.?this tradition seems flawed.?

Good evil salvation
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2009, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2009 09:54 AM by Annolennar.)
RE: pope is picked by lot
The pope is not picked by lot. He is elected by the College of Cardinals at a "papal conclave" when the previous pope dies.

-

12 popes... you mean one for each apostle? Apostolic succession doesn't just apply to the pope, it applies to bishops in general. The pope is basically the bishop of Rome, and traces his "apostolic lineage" directly to Peter (hence the "See of Peter"). So while any given bishop (in theory) can trace his apostolic succession back to the twelve apostles, the pope holds the position that Peter did.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2009 10:00 AM by Pilgrim.)
Actually even if this was the method of choosing the Pope it would be more in line and method with scripture than the current one. Read Acts 1 verse 23 to the end of Acts1. Smile

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
(02-09-2009 06:55 AM)smellycat Wrote:  didn,t Christ pick saul as an apostle.?so is the lot system flawed.?also why aren,t there 12 popes if this is the case.?this tradition seems flawed.?

do you have any method for choosing what you will insult today or is it just random with you?
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
i try to find truth in all i see,i don,t mind ,as long as i find it.

Good evil salvation
02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
At least the heat is off us atheists for the moment. I'm not sure I can withstand another penetrating smellycat question...

---------------
Not selling anything.
02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
so who promotes the pope,i heard Christ say to peter look after my sheep.and i know peter is alive,because Christ says so.so were is the connection with the pope?

Good evil salvation
02-09-2009, 08:39 PM
(02-09-2009 04:52 PM)smellycat Wrote:  i try to find truth in all i see,i don,t mind ,as long as i find it.

you are failing miserably
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2009 09:08 PM by Annolennar.)
Quote:so who promotes the pope,i heard Christ say to peter look after my sheep.and i know peter is alive,because Christ says so.so were is the connection with the pope?

The pope isn't really "promoted". He is elected as the bishop of Rome; and the headship of the Church comes from being bishop of Rome, not the other way around.

The primacy of the Roman bishopric comes from the primacy of Peter himself, who was bishop of Rome. His status as chief pastor is shown in both Scripture and in many writings of the ECFs (Early Church Fathers) in the first through third centuries (people who either were disciples of the apostles themselves, or one generation removed from the apostles). That the authority of the position passed on to his successor is also pretty clearly attested in early Christian writings.

In short, right off the bat, the local churches of various cities looked to Peter in Rome as the sort of "chief pastor", and as he passed on his position to Linus and so forth, the bishops of other cities continued to look to the bishop of Rome as the head of the Church.

Even the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches, though they don't recognize the "supreme headship" of the bishop of Rome, consider him "first among equals" among the bishops as the successor of Peter.

-

Quote:Actually even if this was the method of choosing the Pope it would be more in line and method with scripture than the current one. Read Acts 1 verse 23 to the end of Acts1.

Heh, true. I've actually heard arguments that "the papal election is evil because democracy isn't in the Bible". I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
i am catholic by birth.and what hurts me the most is this,lack of information.i never knew this war was going on,i could never understand the cruelty of the world.and then i started going nearer and neare to them,through people media ,jobs etc,what was normal.and do you know what,the world is not normal.far from it.now i have watched people and know they are pricks very easily.but Christ tells me not to judge,and i admire this because people are under the influence.i have been there and know the silent dragging into a worse place.now this is the difficult bit.how to tell men to become a man.a man thinks for himself.men think as a pack.

Good evil salvation

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  God sins a lot but is there no end to God’s greed? Greatest I am 28 2,719 05-26-2012 02:59 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)