Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
question about an archangel
03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
question about an archangel
Hello. I am trying to find out more about an archangel named Sarathiel. I know he/she is suppose to be one the 7 archangels of the coptic orthodox tradition, but my knowledge pretty much ends there. Can anyone help me out here? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
RE: question about an archangel
(03-23-2009 09:18 PM)kyureous Wrote:  Hello. I am trying to find out more about an archangel named Sarathiel. I know he/she is suppose to be one the 7 archangels of the coptic orthodox tradition, but my knowledge pretty much ends there. Can anyone help me out here? Smile

Don't know much about him as far as Coptic Orthodoxy goes. I think it might simply be the Coptic name for Sealtiel, though I could be wrong. As far as I know, the names of the seven archangels have varied slightly throughout history. Sorry, I know it's not much help.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I can't find much on him either, but the earliest reference I seem to be able to find is in the Liturgy of Saint Basil. Here is the excerpt in which he is mentioned:

Liturgy of St. Basil Wrote:Seven archangels,
Always praising as they stand,
Before the Pantocrator,
Serving the hidden mystery.

Michael is the first,
Gabriel is the second,
Rafael is the third,
A symbol of the Trinity.

Souriel, Sadakiel
Sarathiel and Ananiel:
The luminous and holy,
Asking Him for the creation.

As far as I can tell, the name means one of the following:

Server
Scarifier (as in 'one who scars or cuts')
Remover

And of course, the usual "el" ending may be taken to mean "in God" or "of God". Based on the name, I would guess that in the Coptic Orthodox tradition he has something to do with discipline or penance.

We could extrapolate some more based on comparing to other accounts of the seven archangels (or possibly the Book of Revelation/Apocalypse of John), but I'm not sure if you're interested in that.

Hope that helps. Smile

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
03-24-2009, 12:23 AM
I think perhaps you mean "Salathiel," which is the Greek-derived variant of Shealtiel (sometimes spelled Sealtiel). Sealtiel is also found in Eastern Orthodox traditions, and some local Catholic traditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selaphiel
03-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Well, the Coptic Orthodox are Non-Chalcedonian, so normally I'd be surprised to find something from the Eastern Orthodox or Catholic traditions there; but since St. Basil's Liturgy predates the Council of Chalcedon, its possible in this case.

Another thing that makes me doubt the Sarathiel-Sealtiel connection is that the transliteration is impossible without outright error. Sealtiel, Salathiel, and all similar names are the same in Hebrew characters, while Sarathiel is not. So, if this were the case, "Sarathiel" would have to be a misspelling or outright mistake.

The last thing that would make me doubt that Sarathiel is actually Sealtiel is the context of the other angels he is mentioned with. If Sarathiel is Sealtiel, its kind of odd to find him with Sadakiel/Zadkiel, as they are somewhat similar. But angelology has never been fond of clarity or ease of comprehension, so I guess that wouldn't surprise me either.

Oh, and this thread needs this smiley: Angel

Heh.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
03-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Awesome info guys! Wasn't expecting so many responses so quickly Smile

The Liturgy of St. Basil was the only thing I was able to find on the internet before coming here.The meaning of the name was interesting too, thanks for that.

Would you happen to know what the meaning of those last 2 lines are? Might be all I ever find on him Smile

"The luminous and holy,
Asking Him for the creation."
03-24-2009, 02:51 AM
I've got to admit that my knowledge of angel hierarchy is mostly based in works like the Book of Enoch, so I may be mistaken, but Salathiel was the only reference I could find that was in any way similar to Sarathiel, and even that took quite a bit of digging.
03-24-2009, 03:11 PM
My general thought on the meaning of the last two lines is that it is describing their intercession - particularly given their supposed close proximity to God. Its fairly common these days to hear something along the lines of "...we pray to the Blessed Virgin, and all the angels and the saints, to intercede..." (I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember it exactly). I suspect this is simply speaking of that same thing.

Of course, it may be intended to have some deeper mystical significance. It really just depends on how the original language is written.

Although I personally don't think that its Sealtiel, I suspect GTseng3 and karma_sleeper were on the right track in terms of trying to figure out which of the seven archangels he is comparable/synonymous to.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)