thx

i wish i have more time to spend here on the forum
but ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2009, 10:10 AM
RE: question for atheists
What is the purpose of your survey?

I became an atheist after I began a careful, reasoned study of scientific facts, and became aware that god was unnecessary. This research also led the contradictions in most modern religions to become apparent. We know that evolution is true, and there's vast amounts of evidence that abiogenesis and the big bang cosmogony is also true. God is simply not required, and without this requirement belief in god becomes foolish and fantastic.

I try to discover the truth. I'm more interested in being right than in anything else, because I think knowing the truth is important. So that's why I became an atheist.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
11-26-2009, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2009 10:23 AM by StarStuff.)
I think it's clear from your survey that you don't really understand atheism. It's not a religion, it's not even a belief system, it's merely the lack of belief in god. Lack of belief in god doesn't necessitate belief in evolution, abiogenesis, or big bang cosmogony, and it's not an organization that you can "leave" or "join."

I have always been an atheist, simply because I've never seen any reason to believe in god that wasn't based in circular logic. The fact that so many idiots around the world cloak their idiocy and bigotry in the language of religion in order to justify it has continuously reaffirmed my belief that religion (and by extension god) is unnecessary and contributes nothing to human existence. Religion to me represents a revolting lack of curiosity and willful blindness to the beauty of the world around us.

When presented with the fundamental human question of "where did we come from," here are the answers given by religion and by science:

RELIGION: God made us.
SCIENCE: I don't know. Let's see what we can find out.

(later)
SCIENCE: This is fascinating! What else can we find out?
RELIGION: LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING YOU'RE WRONG THE BIBLE SAYS GOD MADE US

Religion to me represents willful, deliberate blindness and ignorance, and a refusal to partake of the great wealth of knowledge that is available in the world. Observation of the universe leads us to some amazing and beautiful discoveries, and religion wishes us to simply turn a blind eye to all of this.

That is why I am an atheist.
11-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, here is my life story. I was raised in a family where my father was atheist, and my mother was a (non-denominational) Christian, but I say she is more of a deist, but never mind that. At school we were taught about the bible and Jesus, so I took it to be true. When I reached seccondary school, we started to learn about proper science and after some research myself(without the internet! :O) I came to the conclusion that the Christian version of God was not real.

I went on like this for a while, but then my nan died, who I was extremely close to. This was almost 3 years ago, and it messed me up for a while. As what I realize now was just a coping mechanism I went back to Christianity as I could not deal with the idea of never being able to see her again...This was not a conscious search for any excuse to see her, I think it was just my sub-conscious trying to give me enough hope to stop me doing something I would regret. Christianity was familiar to me, and it meant I would see her again. Once I came to terms with her being gone, I went back to atheism. At this point I decided it would be sensible to look into other religions also, as I have been doing since then. I soon became an agnostic atheist, believeing in the possibility of a God in the pantheistic sense.

Then I met someone who I am still friends with now who suggested that my beliefs would fit in with Satanism. I thought it was pointless and that I had no need for organised religion. I put it off for a while, but then decided I would read the Satanic bible, and he was right. It did fit in with what I already believed for the most part.

And that is the story.

The person that is truly happy is not the one who gets everything they want, but the one who learns to be happy with what they have.
11-26-2009, 03:15 PM
(11-26-2009 10:10 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  
Quote:What is the purpose of your survey?
just to have an idea
and i think it's better to write in the forum not in the survey so we can share ideas better together
[quote]I became an atheist after I began a careful, reasoned study of scientific facts, and became aware that god was unnecessary. This research also led the contradictions in most modern religions to become apparent. We know that evolution is true, and there's vast amounts of evidence that abiogenesis and the big bang cosmogony is also true. God is simply not required, and without this requirement belief in god becomes foolish and fantastic.

1-Evolution is not a scientifically-proven truth
2-Big bang doesn't contradict religion

Max Planck said that "everyone who, regardless
of his field, studies science seriously is to read the following phrase
on the door of the temple of science: 'Have faith'".

Quote:I try to discover the truth. I'm more interested in being right than in anything else, because I think knowing the truth is important. So that's why I became an atheist.
what if u were wrong ?!

i wish i have more time to spend here on the forum
but ...
11-26-2009, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2009 03:44 PM by StarStuff.)
(11-26-2009 03:15 PM)derprinz Wrote:  1-Evolution is not a scientifically-proven truth
Yes, it is. We've seen it happen. That evolution happens is observable scientific fact. We have documented the evolution of bacteria and viruses. We KNOW FOR FACT that they evolve and over time become resistant to whatever treatment we try to use against them. Observable fact.

Quote:2-Big bang doesn't contradict religion
Depends on your flavor of religion.

Quote:
Quote:I try to discover the truth. I'm more interested in being right than in anything else, because I think knowing the truth is important. So that's why I became an atheist.
what if u were wrong ?!

Then we will explore alternate theories. We will revise our hypotheses to include new data. We will NOT simply dismiss any evidence that doesn't agree with our old theories as found in a book written thousands of years ago by an unverifiable source.

Science is not some entity that seeks to disprove religion: science is merely conclusions drawn from empirical evidence. If empirical evidence suggests your hypothesis is wrong, you revise your hypothesis.

Empirical evidence suggests much of what is written in religious texts is wrong. It's as simple as that.
11-26-2009, 08:52 PM
(11-26-2009 03:15 PM)derprinz Wrote:  1-Evolution is not a scientifically-proven truth

Yes it is. We've observed speciation directly in a lab. We've also observed it in the wild. Viruses mutate and evolve all the time, and nylon-eating bacteria evolved during the last 75 years. That's a fact.

The theory of evolution says that evolution is the method by which life became diverse. This is as scientifically proven as atomic theory. I would note that if atomic theory were not true, your computer would not function. See, "theory" means something different in science than it does in layman's terms. You can generally accept established "theory" as fact.

Quote:2-Big bang doesn't contradict religion

Not religion as an abstract, no. But were you talking about a specific religion? Because I can think of a few religions that it contradicts. Like, any religion with a literal creation story that doesn't involve a big bang.

Quote:Max Planck said that "everyone who, regardless
of his field, studies science seriously is to read the following phrase
on the door of the temple of science: 'Have faith'".

That quote is not intended to regard science as a religion. To use it in this way is either ignorant, or deceitful, depending on whether or not you know better. Now you know better, so you have no excuse.

Quote:what if u were wrong ?!

I find your lack of proper English appalling. You should show respect for the person you are speaking to.

Anyway, that's the point. The search for truth means constantly challenging your views, finding where you are right, and where you are wrong, then modifying your beliefs until you are right. That is why atheism is not a religion. If I was wrong about atheism, then I would stop being an atheist.

What would you do if you were wrong? Because you were wrong about evolution, you were wrong about the Quran mentioning photosynthesis, and you were wrong about atheism. So will you acknowledge that you are wrong, and adjust your beliefs so that you can find the truth? Or will you refuse to acknowledge the truth, and prefer to believe a comforting lie?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
12-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Why I am an atheist: My mythology filter works. Show me a person who thinks their life gets better after they are dead, and I will show you a person you could probably get $20 a week from for a short fresh message reinforcing said notion.

Have a good day. Smile
04-12-2011, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 09:59 PM by ColdKiss5339.)
I became an Atheist not because of logic, but because I realized if there was a God then what happened to me as a child wouldn't have happened. If God was real I would like to think that he wouldn't be testing children for their faith at all. Also as I got older I noticed the lack of logic and reason in the theory of God.

I think that your shows you don't really know much about the topic. Most atheist I know had a religion before, because that was what there parents were and I'm not sure how that factors into if you become an Atheist or not.
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 10:13 PM by Flipper.)
For me, I didn't become an atheist and I'm not really sure how one "becomes" an atheist. Is there some sort of ritual involved that no-one ever told me about?

Sure, I was christened in the Church of England (in Australia? really never worked that one out either) by my parents before I had any say in the matter, being as I couldn't even talk. But I have never had any experience or found any information to caused me to believe in a god or gods of any description.

I consider myself to be a Secular Humanist as atheist only really describes what you don't believe as such. It is my belief that there is no such thing as "just" an atheist. There has to be the other side of the coin that describes what a person does base their worldview on. If you don't know what a Secular Humanist is look up some of the other posts I have put up, EqualAtheist has also put up some really good ones that cover my world view.

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how. - Nietzsche

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I have question for atheists svetlana 78 10,138 12-18-2014 05:58 AM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  A Question For Atheists--friendly-like :) IMtM 52 8,721 12-02-2014 10:58 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  A Whopping Question For Atheists IMtM 51 6,075 10-25-2014 01:29 AM
Last Post: s2a
  A Big Question to Atheists IMtM 4 1,058 06-28-2013 12:05 PM
Last Post: IMtM
  Yet Another Question For Atheists IMtM 12 2,270 06-15-2012 05:20 AM
Last Post: For the love of god
  A question for atheists Adhara 29 5,003 09-26-2010 04:23 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)