Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what evolution is and its basic truth
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
what evolution is and its basic truth
Evolution is a scientific theory. Where the word "theory" does not mean "not necessarily a fact", but means "a well established principle that explains why we observe what we do".

Evolution speaks to the obvious "homology" between the little bones in the inner ear of mammals, the jaw, and the fused bone that braces the upper jaw to the skull -- which form the 3 gill slits in fish. Fingers and rays in fins are another "homology".

Evolution then, speaks to the counterparts in structure across "related species".

Natural selection refers to the competition between individuals based on their ability to grow to maturity and reproduce, thereby passing on their genetics and thus their unique variations that make them individuals.

None of this says anything about a creator, nor about how the process got going in the first place, i.e., why there's a universe. Doesn't rule a creator in or out. That is a matter of belief and faith.

If you go in for special creation a short time ago compared to the several thousand million (or billions) or years, you have to explain why it is that there are the obvious homologies. I just don't get why a creator would use gill bones to do hearing and vice versa depending on kind of animal. Or why chimps have the same genes as us, except that some of our genetics that don't code for any proteins and thus don't build any body parts are flipped end for end, and why 1 chromosome is fused or split in them. And when you compare differences in DNA, chimp and human DNA are more similar that either chimp and human are to gorilla DNA.

And to look at landforms, how is it that there is a slow widening of the Atlantic Ocean with volcanos and islands emerging at the mid ocean boundary, e.g. in Iceland. And how it is that rocks in Newfoundland are found in perfect counterpart in Scotland. And how it is that we can see that there is a new volcano under the Pacific that will emerge in 20 million years as another Hawaiian island at the present rate of deel ocean eruption.

And to look a the universe and galaxies. How is it that they are moving apart at a constant rate of speed? And while we're at it, why would there be more than one galaxy, more than one solar system, planet? How is it that most of what is in the universe cannot be seen except by telescopes that don't even view with light?

Maybe creation is created in more wonderous ways than we can ever imagine, and evolution and natural selection are it's mechanisms and that the movements of continents and galaxies is all part of a wonderous dance of the cosmos, and we really are in a vast a glorius universe that evolved and continues to do so, with all beings in it. And in this greatly expanded view, what's the threat to faith? For me, it's expanded not diminished.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2009, 02:25 AM
RE: what evolution is and its basic truth
Very well put. I can find no reason not to believe in evolution but that doesn't at all mean that God wasn't part of it.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2009, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2009 03:02 AM by Pilgrim.)
Whilst I don't agree with your conclusions regarding the 'truth' of evolutionry theory Twenty-Two 20 I do agree that faith is the key. I do not say that those believers who accept it are going to hell. Nor do I require that they change their views regarding it. I simply find it inadiquately evidenced and therefore untenable. Homology is easily accounted for if one considers that life created from the same basic stuff i.e the carbon molecule, will produce similar paterns in structures whilst having almost limitless potential to diversity. Further the fossil record provides no back up for the theory in the evidence it presents that one would expect to find if evolutionary theory is a fact. Christians are not given an either/or choice between accepting science or accepting the Bible but they do have a legitimate choice as regards accepting evolutionary theory as an explanation of the available evidence. I believe my reference given in the link I provided to Wikepedia on the 'dinosaurs' thread demonstrates this amply. http://creationwiki.org/Transitional_forms

Still, I do not deny your right to your belief nor will I belittle it. I think we're just destined to chase these same arguements around in circles and to what profit? Smile

Every blessing

Pilgrim Smile

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
The profit my friend is that I will learn something.

I think one of the really neat things about the basic Christian message is that all are welcome at the "table of God", and all may eat, drink (metaphors in my mind for equality of access to grace and spirit), and I can (metaphorically again) sit at the tabel with people that I don't agree with on some things or even greatly disagree, but we can sit respectfully, with our eyes on things greater than ourselves, and it is good. I have several people I consider good friends and we greatly disagree, and it is expanding for me to continue to whack away at our disagreements. I like the dialogue and it keeps me in line to have to defend my ideas. So let's chase around. And do tell me to shut right up when you like. Wink
01-16-2009, 05:55 AM
(01-15-2009 10:08 AM)twenty-two20 Wrote:  The profit my friend is that I will learn something.

I think one of the really neat things about the basic Christian message is that all are welcome at the "table of God", and all may eat, drink (metaphors in my mind for equality of access to grace and spirit), and I can (metaphorically again) sit at the tabel with people that I don't agree with on some things or even greatly disagree, but we can sit respectfully, with our eyes on things greater than ourselves, and it is good. I have several people I consider good friends and we greatly disagree, and it is expanding for me to continue to whack away at our disagreements. I like the dialogue and it keeps me in line to have to defend my ideas. So let's chase around. And do tell me to shut right up when you like. Wink
LOL very well my brother. Have at Ye! *Takes out me rubber chicken wif which t'bop ya!* Smile

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
just another event from God.good ain,t he.

Good evil salvation

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)