Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
whats gods other name
11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
whats gods other name
how many names has god got , can anybody help please and thankyou.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
RE: whats gods other name
(11-03-2009 12:26 PM)hillbilly Wrote:  how many names has god got , can anybody help please and thankyou.

http://ldolphin.org/Names.html
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM
That is a very good quesiton. God has only one name. He is referred to as God Almighty, God of love, Lord, God, etc… however, he only has one name. Just as you and I have one name but may be referred to as father, son, cousin, grandfather, grandson, etc… God’s true name is Jehovah. He is the Creator and, the Sovereign Ruler of the universe. Jehovah is translated from the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, JHVH or YHWH, which means “He Causes to Become.”

It is important to know and use God’s personal name. Do you have a close relationship with anyone whose personal name you do not know? For people to whom God is nameless he is often merely an impersonal force, not a real person, not someone that they know and love and to whom they can speak from the heart in prayer.
11-03-2009, 05:36 PM
cheers jwitness , ok what about this......aahem , what happens if....the god that we know , the person that created the universe , all the different living creatures on all the planets including earth....who gave us every acedemic skill from the lowest level to the highest possible level of intellect , is actully one part of a higher being....a supreme being and that person is actully living outside the univirse....plus!!! the universe is only in our own minds . does that make sense to you ?
11-03-2009, 07:54 PM
(11-03-2009 05:36 PM)hillbilly Wrote:  ok what about this......aahem , what happens if....the god that we know , the person that created the universe , all the different living creatures on all the planets including earth....who gave us every acedemic skill from the lowest level to the highest possible level of intellect , is actully one part of a higher being....a supreme being and that person is actully living outside the univirse....plus!!! the universe is only in our own minds . does that make sense to you ?

Georg Cantor was the first mathematician to seriously and rigorously deal with the concept of infinity, and developed set theory along the way. Since it is always possible to create a larger set from a given set (even infinite sets) the idea of the set of all sets does not make sense. A larger set could be created that is perforce not contained in that alleged set of all sets, a contradiction. Mathematicians instead refer to the class of all sets and consider it beyond logical analysis.

In pondering this conundrum, Cantor decided that the Absolute (as he called it), the collection of all infinite sets, was God. Yes, God. If we consider God as the reason for existence and for lawfulness, it is not too big a jump to view the universe as a thought in the mind of God. This would give a meaning to the term existence and account for logical lawfulness. Add in that Cantor liked to define a set as “the form of a possible thought” and we have something interesting going on here.

A noteworthy point about Transfinite Analysis, as the field is called, is something called the Reflection Principle. Whatever coherent consistent thing you can say about the Absolute is in fact true of some set that is less than the Absolute. By assigning a coherent consistent description you have defined a set, and the Absolute is bigger than any set.

According to at least some theoretical physicists, this is not the only possible universe. Mathematical models using different laws and starting conditions turn out to be completely consistent, that is, possible. Why then is the universe the particular way it is? One solution offered by physicists is the idea of the multiverse, that this universe is only one of a collection of all possible universes. Some philosophers have come to similar conclusions via metaphysical reasoning.

Meld all these ideas together and we can imagine a GOD (note all caps) as the Thinker of all possible universes. But because ‘all possible universes’ (sets) is not a consistent thought, we cannot deal with such an entity logically. But by the Reflection Principle, we can conceive of a God for each universe (set), that is less than GOD but can have all the coherent (logically possible) attributes one normally assigns to God.

Is that what you meant?

Moving on to the last part of your post, about the universe being only in our minds:

To say that the universe is only in our minds strongly suggests that the universe is in fact NOT just in our minds. Otherwise there would be no basis for a shared reality. To have the same universe reflected in all of our minds requires having an external universe.

One might of course say that the universe is only in MY mind. But that is called solipsism and it is not worth talking about. Who would I talk to?

In either case, to think of the universe as being ‘only’ in somebody’s mind seems pointless to me. If it were true what would be different? If you thought that putting your hand on a hot stove happened only in your mind, would it not hurt? Any volunteers want to try this out?

Also, to continuously discover new aspects of the universe that later turn out to be lawful and logical does not appear compatible with a ‘mind-only’ universe. Where is the lawfulness coming from in the first place?

Personally, I like the idea of God the Thinker.
11-03-2009, 11:21 PM
ok my freind , good answer.....but!!! . what i am trying to put across ( sorry not very good at exsplaining my self ) , is that we are here in our own minds , that we live in a virtual reallity world . in a certain book " bible" , the words heavens appear , dont they!! , so would that not mean there is more than one universe , did god take us to to this universe , this planet in stages ( like walking down a flite of steps , step by step , stage by stage ) and then we created hell ?, and if we are in hell and we are!! , where are our bodys.....in heaven? multiple universes away , but again in our own mind . also believe that religion and sience are very close about the big bang theory and the supreme being ( sb ) and god . thank you for your reply , i could disscus this subject for quite a while .
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
(11-03-2009 11:21 PM)hillbilly Wrote:  ok my freind , good answer.....but!!! . what i am trying to put across ( sorry not very good at exsplaining my self ) , is that we are here in our own minds , that we live in a virtual reallity world . in a certain book " bible" , the words heavens appear , dont they!! , so would that not mean there is more than one universe , did god take us to to this universe , this planet in stages ( like walking down a flite of steps , step by step , stage by stage ) and then we created hell ?, and if we are in hell and we are!! , where are our bodys.....in heaven? multiple universes away , but again in our own mind . also believe that religion and sience are very close about the big bang theory and the supreme being ( sb ) and god . thank you for your reply , i could disscus this subject for quite a while .

I do not see the big bang theory – a label that covers a wide multitude of ideas, by the way – as related to creation by a deity. It is existence itself and its lawful nature that may need explaining, whether the universe had a beginning in time or has been around forever.

Here are some comments about the opinion on this matter of George Lemaître, the first scientist to suggest in a serious detailed way that the universe had a definite beginning in time, and incidentally a Catholic priest. (BTW ignore anything Dan Brown said about Lemaître. It is all wrong.)

Quote:…far from integrating his science and his theology, however, Lemaître erected high barriers between them. As a result, he strongly objected when in 1951 Pope Pius XII connected his work to the doctrine of creation before the academy, declaring that

“present-day science, with one sweep back across the centuries, has succeeded in bearing witness to the august instant of the Fiat Lux, when, along with matter, there burst forth from nothing a sea of light and radiation, and the elements split and churned and formed into millions of galaxies.”

The pope clearly drew on Lemaître’s theories, yet he had not consulted with the cosmologist prior to the speech. As it happens, Lemaître denied any affinity between the origin of the universe implied by cosmology and the biblical doctrine of creation. As Farrell writes, “The embarrassment of having his cosmological work publicly held up as a proof of creation discouraged him even more [from further developing cosmological theory].”

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/ar...9-09-047-b
11-04-2009, 01:46 PM
so what were are saying is , nobody can give a straight answer to my questions , without some quote from some person . i am looking for your own personal answers , not someone elses personal quotes . none of my questions have been answered .
11-04-2009, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2009 02:56 PM by Parousia.)
(11-04-2009 01:46 PM)hillbilly Wrote:  so what were are saying is , nobody can give a straight answer to my questions , without some quote from some person . i am looking for your own personal answers , not someone elses personal quotes . none of my questions have been answered .

In response to your first post, I gave you a straight answer on the names of God, specifically a list of all the names used in the Judeo-Christian tradition. Did you expect me to give you a personal opinion in which one is ‘right’?

In response to your second post, I gave you a truckload of personal ideas answering your questions.

In response to your third post, I gave you my opinion that it does not matter whether the universe had a beginning in time because the real issues are existence itself and lawfulness. I then gave a detailed reference showing that even the Catholic priest who first talked about what would later be called the Big bang said that it was not related to theology. If I had not done so, you could have challenged my opinion.

And now you say “nobody can give a straight answer to my questions”.

Let me now proceed to giving a fuller answer to you third post.

Quote:what i am trying to put across… is that we are here in our own minds , that we live in a virtual reallity world

As I addressed in a previous post above, there is no difference between a physical world and a virtual one unless it is possible to tell the difference. And the idea of a shared reality argues against a virtual world by indicating an external world outside of the mind.

Quote: in a certain book " bible" , the words heavens appear , dont they!!

Actually no, not in the sense you mean. The Greek word used in the New Testament that is translated as ‘heaven’ (ouranos) can mean several different things, among them being the abode of God or the physical sky. In general the word is used in the singular sense, indicating only one of the possible meanings. A few times it is used in the plural but it is clear that more than one meaning is intended. When Jesus is baptized and God speaks out of the sky, it is God speaking from heaven (the abode of God) and the voice being perceived as coming out of the air above the heads of the witnesses (physical heaven). Paul also says “heavens and earth” to mean everything including all of the meanings of heaven.

http://www.ntwords.com/heaven.htm

Quote:, so would that not mean there is more than one universe , did god take us to to this universe , this planet in stages ( like walking down a flite of steps , step by step , stage by stage ) and then we created hell ?, and if we are in hell and we are!! , where are our bodys.....in heaven? multiple universes away , but again in our own mind .

I don’t get this at all. If it is derived from the idea of heavens, it is not correct as explained above. But the step by step business…what does this mean?
11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
parousia , sorry if i was sounding rude , did not meen to . now you have answered the questions , thankyou . the question about the heavens......ok . hmmm , i dont know how to start with this , to be honest.... right here goes....dont laff please , these are only thoughts . imagine we all lived in a heavanly universe and a heavanly planet.....but heaven is not as heavenly as we think.... infact is actully alot harsher than hell , ok .anyway one day in heaven one of the gods of the family of god said at the top of his voice , so every one on the planet of heaven could here him " i am the supreme being/the first person , in the form of a god " , " the person who created heavens and earth and every thing inbeetween " , at that point every one on the planet fell about laffing " yeh , right " , " lost the plot a bit god " , " has any one told you that you are an inbred retarded spastec " ( god was not a liked or respected person in heaven ) they shouted . once they picked them selves up and brushed them selves down and stopped titering they asked " whats this place earth ? then , plus how are you going to prove you are the first " they mocked , god then said " well , this place earth is a stunning planet , if not heavenly and you will be re-born and live on this planet.....BUT you will turn this planet into hell ", " what!! " they exsclamed . once god finally got everyones attention ( honestly , this took a long long time ) he spent a many hours trying to exsplain the reasons for this ( what was basicly missing from heaven , love , social standards , understanding wrong from wright , friendship , humanity , family , laws , rules of life , work , education looking after oneanother , as you could imagine the list goes on and on ) and slowly the people started to understand " ah we see now " the people mumbeled to them selves . god then told them how this was the last part of evoulotion , creation and we will go threw this prosses ( creating heaven ) 4 maybe 5 times , before we are re-born into hell . " hold on " the people said " we dont understand this part , how are we going to do that " , god speaks " ok " , " i will build these "pods" , " capsules" for us to liy in ( ever seen the movie alien where at the beginning of the movie ripley and co are lieing in these pods in hyper sleep ), then once every one is in these pods , doors closed ect , ect , creation and evelotion of heaven will begin again ( a bit like the fat boy slim video , starts with an entity and ends with the fat bloke at the end wth the brown t-shirt , cant remember the name of the video , so this the only way i can exsplain this part ) , but this time only in our own minds ( imagine we are liying inside a playstation3 console ) and then we will go threw this again and again and again......and again , and everytime we are re-born ( the fat boy slim video/ eveloution ) into heaven , valves in our brain will be closed down , stage by stage . then when we are in hell one part of our brain will be stronger than the other , we will have no memory of heaven or heavens , we wont remember what we were like in the original heaven . this is going to take a long , long , long time " . the people have chat to each other " so what you are saying is that we are in heaven/universe 1 , then when we step into our pods we will be re-born into heaven/universe 2 and evoloution will begin again , accept we wont have the memory of the first time , then this will happen , maybe another 3-4 times " , god answers " yip " . the people " why " , god " look around you , what mess this planet is in , what a mess you are in " . the people " so what happens at the end , when we are allowed out of our pods " , god " you will step into the pod as one person and step out as another " , " you will be the same but diffarent , the vavles in your brain will open and your memory restored " , " but only once you have been to hell and back " , people " your setting us up the way we are ment to be arent you , the way we were engineered/desighned " , god " sure am " . people " so what happens to you " , god " i go back to where i came from , out side the origanil universe , back to my workshop/labratory , where life began " . parousia , i told you i was hopless at exsplaning my thoughts and exscuse the spelling , any questions would gladly be answered . p.s i would not blame you if you thought i was a bit mad , you would not be the first .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Orb whats the deal? onlycurious 42 1,612 04-29-2017 03:13 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  So, you think you know whats happening megaflies 115 4,651 05-07-2014 02:02 PM
Last Post: sante
  Whats really on Gods Mind? mickiel 131 13,716 07-25-2009 12:19 PM
Last Post: mickiel

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)