Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
where has religion gone
03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
where has religion gone
I believe that religion is one of the things hurting this nation. First off you have people who think that the only way to have I guess the "right" morals is to learn them from a god or you will turn into a Hitler or Stalin, which is very untrue because all Buddhists learn from non-theistic teachings and if anything they have more morals then most in America. Another problem with religion is it is constantly being used to sway the masses to vote a certain way with out them even knowing what they are exactly voting for or brain washing them to hate certain groups of people. I do not hate religion though it is just being used the wrong way, we are losing god because people change his teachings to benefit themselves, and people see that as okay and there for are being taught immoral actions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2010, 01:11 AM
RE: where has religion gone
(03-23-2010 12:14 AM)whiteyca Wrote:  I believe that religion is one of the things hurting this nation. First off you have people who think that the only way to have I guess the "right" morals is to learn them from a god or you will turn into a Hitler or Stalin, which is very untrue because all Buddhists learn from non-theistic teachings and if anything they have more morals then most in America. Another problem with religion is it is constantly being used to sway the masses to vote a certain way with out them even knowing what they are exactly voting for or brain washing them to hate certain groups of people. I do not hate religion though it is just being used the wrong way, we are losing god because people change his teachings to benefit themselves, and people see that as okay and there for are being taught immoral actions.

I'm beginning to really have the urge to make Religion =/= Christianity my signature.
03-23-2010, 02:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2010 03:39 AM by lastmikvehlastDay.)
Question RE: where has religion gone
Quote:..because all Buddhists learn from non-theistic teachings
................................................................................​.....

Buddhist you say? I would guess has done all this through religious practice. No? Much of Buddhism isnt a religion ? Is it one at all? What is the support for this idea? [I wonder]. Can you determine if there's worship involved, no? Clearly, do you know? According to myth(s) are there any "Devas" ? Are there immortals (any of which devas)? Note: I am using the words: Devas & Deities the broadest sense of the terms.
According to THERAVADA Faith? Just curious. Although not well understood and not talked about much. And the Vedic and Buddhist concepts of devas are altogether of a different character. It is valuable to find out more about. You cannot say there are no "buddhist deities" (no matter how 'qualified'.),. Apparently the Buddha himself is supposed to have given an indication of deities (however reluctantly). Maybe some Buddhist guys can address these (3) three things ? Give us a link to some relevant verses directly from the Theravada, Tibetan historical/source materials, (please).

03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
(03-23-2010 02:26 AM)lastmikvehlastDay Wrote:  
................................................................................​.....

Buddhist you say? I would guess has done all this through religious practice. No? Much of Buddhism isnt a religion ? Is it one at all? What is the support for this idea? [I wonder]. Can you determine if there's worship involved, no? Clearly, do you know? According to myth(s) are there any "Devas" ? Are there immortals (any of which devas)? Note: I am using the words: Devas & Deities the broadest sense of the terms.
According to THERAVADA Faith? Just curious. Although not well understood and not talked about much. And the Vedic and Buddhist concepts of devas are altogether of a different character. It is valuable to find out more about. You cannot say there are no "buddhist deities" (no matter how 'qualified'.),. Apparently the Buddha himself is supposed to have given an indication of deities (however reluctantly). Maybe some Buddhist guys can address these (3) three things ? Give us a link to some relevant verses directly from the Theravada, Tibetan historical/source materials, (please).

I did not say that Buddhist do not believe in gods because they beeive in many but the teachings they learn from are from Buddha himself who is no god he teaches about life.
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Religion plays a key role in mankind’s makeup and history, however, history shows that none of the world’s major religions have been a blessing for mankind. Some see good in all religion so they don’t feel the need to find the true religion. False religion has produced what is bad. It has resulted in spiritual darkness and had a bad influence on honest hearted people. The choice isn’t between being an atheist and believing in any religion. It is not as simple as that. once someone has recognized the need for God, they must seek out the true religion. A religion that teaches lies cannot be the truth. Jesus said: “God is a spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.” – John 4:24. He also said: “Be on your guard against false religious teachers, who come to you dressed up as sheep but are really greedy wolves. You can tell them by their fruits… Every good tree produces sound fruit, but a rotten tree produces bad fruit.” – Matt 7:15.
Seeing the “bad fruit” of the world’s great religions and even of the sects and cults, many sincere people are coming to view them all as “rotten trees”. It would be impossible to study all the thousands of religions before making a choice. However, if Jesus said we use truth and fruitage as touchstones, it is possible to identify the true religion.
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm sorry JW but the only thing your religions teaches is death and destruction simply because your religion was formed.................wot
No JW's no death and destruction..........that's gotta help the credibility of religion.............NOT

????????????????
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Kevlar – I’m not sure what you mean when you say my religion teaches death and destruction.. it teaches about death and destruction and why/how death came to be; and what we can do about it. Sadly, death and destruction is a part of all of us. Eventually, all of us will die somehow, someday. Have you ever wondered why we get sick, old and die?
03-25-2010, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2010 01:49 AM by lastmikvehlastDay.)
JW. Simply put .. .. With some religion is painted in the best terms and some in the worst terms possible (or some failure in communications).
03-25-2010, 02:31 AM
While I do believe in a Supreme Being, I do not believe in any organized religion whatsoever. The founding fathers knew that religion (particularly Christianity) was the fraud of the age, and that alone makes me question how anyone could actually believe the things they teach. Most God fearing Christians are so fooled that they don't even realize the staggering similarities between the "Jesus Story" and the many other solar deities before the institution of Christianity ever came about, and won't bother using the tool that God gave everyone to even consider questioning whether or not the stories are true. (Go check out Horus in Egypt, Mithra of Persia, Dionysus of Greece, Krisha of India...) As ironic as it is, although astronomy is frowned upon by old school Christians, the birth, death, and resurrection sequence is astrological and has been taught for many years before Christianity as the life stories of many other deities. Guess knowledge is power, and religion cannot thrive It if the people think on their own! Religion is the fraud of the age. It serves to detach the species from the natural world. It promotes blind submission to authority. It also removes the responsibility from the individual under the pretense that "God will come and save me!" or "What is supposed to happen is gonna happen, and there isn't anything I can do to help/hurt the situation" Sad. It's my opinion that since we are made in God's image, do we not possess similar potential? (How can monks master their minds and bodies the way they do?) Do your children not exhibit characteristics of his/her creators (mother and father)? Do you really need someone telling you what is right and wrong? Of course, there is good in most every religion. The problem occurs when man puts his filthy hands on it. It has been twisted to enslave, brainwash, divide and therefore conquer the masses, make a few people insanely rich at the expense of their fellow "brothers" and "sisters", and control governments around the world. That's what it has become, and it isn't getting any better. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely", proven time and time again by many civilizations and their rulers, many in the name of RELIGION.
03-25-2010, 07:59 AM
(03-25-2010 02:31 AM)Sylar2010 Wrote:  ...staggering similarities between the "Jesus Story" and the many other solar deities...

Yeah, the other day I saw a little old lady with blue-tinted hair. Obviously she is not a unique individual in her own right, but rather a pale imitation of Marge Simpson--who herself is but a pale imitation of Babe the Blue Ox. Tongue

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)