Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
would you believe me?
06-19-2009, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2009 12:54 PM by anonym0us.)
would you believe me?
If i told you all, God spoke to me, he told me the world will end tomorrow. would you believe me?

No? why not? you believed all the others who say god spoke to them.

all morals and principals are forgotten when the punishment is because of religion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2009, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2009 01:13 PM by Stereophonic.)
RE: would you believe me?
(06-19-2009 12:52 PM)anonym0us Wrote:  If i told you all, God spoke to me, he told me the world will end tomorrow. would you believe me?...No? why not?...

I suppose if someone were to say that God had confided to him that the world would end tomorrow, then I would wait until tomorrow to see whether or not the world would actually end (and of course I would be quite skeptical, since I happen to believe that God has already said that no one knows the time of final judgmentl).

There is very little in the Bible concerning specific future predictions. There are those who believe that "prophecy" in the Biblical sense refers mostly to predicting the future; these folks generally are the uneducated ones; most of the Bible (the "prophetic" genre included) has to do with who God is, what God has already done, and what God wants us to do.

(06-19-2009 12:52 PM)anonym0us Wrote:  ...you believed all the others who say god spoke to them.

I don't know of anyone who has "believed all the others who say god spoke to them." I wonder why you would make such a silly statement--especially since you earlier claimed to have "questions" but "no answers"...

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
06-19-2009, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2009 01:19 PM by anonym0us.)
By post such a "silly statement" i meant by believing what is written in the bible. Wasn't the Bible written by people who said "god" told them what to write?
Also i was trying to ask why was it acceptable for people to "believe" that god spoke to some one then. But now, if some one says "god" spoke to me, they would be considered mentally in stable.

all morals and principals are forgotten when the punishment is because of religion.
06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
(06-19-2009 01:17 PM)anonym0us Wrote:  By post such a "silly statement" i meant by believing what is written in the bible...

Okay, thanks for that important clarification.

(06-19-2009 01:17 PM)anonym0us Wrote:  ...Wasn't the Bible written by people who said "god" told them what to write?...

I doubt King Lemuel or his mother (Proverbs 31:1) had any idea that their writings would eventually become part of Jewish & Christian scripture. Of course others were well aware that God had given them a message.

(06-19-2009 01:17 PM)anonym0us Wrote:  ...Also i was trying to ask why was it acceptable for people to "believe" that god spoke to some one then. But now, if some one says "god" spoke to me, they would be considered mentally in stable.

Many of the Biblical writers were considered mentally unbalanced in their day. Yet over time the validiy of their message began to be recognized.

06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
(06-19-2009 12:52 PM)anonym0us Wrote:  If i told you all, God spoke to me, he told me the world will end tomorrow. would you believe me?

No? why not? you believed all the others who say god spoke to them.

Because there have been enough predictions of the apocalypse over the past 2,000 years to take them all with a very large pinch of salt.
06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Wait, what? Most prophecy shows the nature of god, and not actual prophecies?

Read Isaiah. Read Jeremiah. Read MOST of the old testament prophets. They're referring to specific events (many of which failed to come to pass.) The Bible's track record on prophecy is very abysmal when you start doing the research, and reject the "official church translation" that twists things around until they barely fit.

Prophecy in the bible does often talk about god. But it also talks about specific events. Revelation is a clear specific event (if you're a christian. If you're not you just read that whole thing as a protest pamphlet over Roman treatment of Jerusalem.)

So it's a legitimate point. Why do you listen to the people in the bible when they talk about god, but not to someone random on the street? Why do you listen to the bible when it says tithe 10% to the church (either Zachariah or Malachi, I forget which one), but you don't listen to a homeless guy who says god told him that you should give him $20? Granted, one has a bunch of people saying its true, and using it as a basis to get wealthy off of tithes, and the other is just a homeless guy, but what is it about the message that's truly different?
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2009 02:18 PM by Anglican.)
(06-19-2009 01:17 PM)anonym0us Wrote:  By post such a "silly statement" i meant by believing what is written in the bible. Wasn't the Bible written by people who said "god" told them what to write?

No. The doctrine of divine inspiration does not imply that the writers were consciously writing at God's dictation, or even that they were unconsciously writing at God's dictation. It implies that God's Spirit communicates to his people through them.

Quote:Also i was trying to ask why was it acceptable for people to "believe" that god spoke to some one then. But now, if some one says "god" spoke to me, they would be considered mentally in stable.

If somebody went to his parish priest and said that he thought God was calling him to the priesthood, or that he thought he was being called to serve in Africa, he would be saying, in effect, that he believed that God had "spoken" to him. He wouldn't be treated as mentally unstable, but he would be interrogated to make sure that he wasn't on an ego trip, to try and discover what his motives were, and to try and discern whether he really did have such and such a calling.
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
First, many of your fellow theists would disagree with you on that point, Anglican, believing that the Bible is divinely inspired. But regardless, you do believe god speaks to people through the bible. Now I'll grant you that the bible has been whittled into its current form through a long process of the church fathers, but why so much belief that they were right? Especially when you then continue to have to interpret the bible, which as a protestant you must find a very daunting task, being only mortal and all and not having a divine church to guide you.
06-19-2009, 02:45 PM
(06-19-2009 02:13 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  ...Read Isaiah. Read Jeremiah. Read MOST of the old testament prophets. They're referring to specific events (many of which failed to come to pass.)...Revelation is a clear specific event...

Again, you're stuck in your very narrow fundamentalist frame of interpretation. Most seminaries--whether liberal, evangelical, Catholic, or Orthodox--teach that only a small percentage of prophetic literature contains a specific, future, predictive aspect. And even where such a predictive element exists, it is typically contingent on the actions of people.

06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
The denomination that you follow teaches that there are specific prophecies of future events. The entire idea of the second coming, one of the core tenants of the creeds you linked me to (which are Baptist creeds, incidentally,) is a specific prophecy set for a future time.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)