Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
your view of the Bible
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
your view of the Bible
I am just curious to know what all of you believe about the Bible?

If it is not true, why do you think so?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2008, 06:45 PM
RE: your view of the Bible
What do I believe about the bible?

Which one?
09-10-2008, 12:09 AM
"Which one" is a good question, interestingly enough. Generally speaking, it would be a safe assumption (though still an assumption no less) to say "the Bible" refers to the Christian Bible. Even eliminating all other religious books that are referred to as the "Bible" for the given religion, there is still the question of translations. Overall, I would have to say the original Christian Bible was probably inspired. I would also say that the book (now essentially regardless of which one you refer to) has many good lessons in it. The problem is that, through the years, the Christian Bible has been translated and mistranslated. It may well be true, in fact I might even personally believe it is true (if so, I'd have to go with the original being true rather than the modern translations), but the modern version(s) are not the same as the original. With that being said, it's not even just a question of "is it true?" but also if so "which one is true?"

HelpThisLife | Anime Forums
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2008, 01:57 AM
The Bible is not just one book, but 66 books (in the protestant translations). I believe them to be inspired by God but written by men. Some of it is literal and some of it may be in parable (symbolic yet true).
09-10-2008, 01:05 PM
ChristineES Wrote:The Bible is not just one book, but 66 books (in the protestant translations).

It originally was a great number of scrolls. At one point, many of the scrolls were put together into the same binding. While each one is referred to as "the book of..." they are also referred to collectively as "the good book" and "the Bible." With this being said, it is true that it is several 'books' but it is also one book.

HelpThisLife | Anime Forums
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
There is also the issue of what canon one chooses to accept, and why (as Christine touched upon).

But generally, I believe it to be inspired by God, and intended by Him as a spiritual guide. However, I don't believe it is entirely literal (particularly the OT).

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
09-30-2008, 02:21 AM
Bible is a source of everyday inspiration, guidance and a reminder that life in this world should be lived in preparation for the next.
09-30-2008, 09:24 AM
andrewbimmer Wrote:Bible is a source of everyday inspiration, guidance and a reminder that life in this world should be lived in preparation for the next.

I most heartily disagree. There is no proof that any religion is true. The very definition of faith is belief not based on proof. Without proof, the only life you can know for certain is true is this one. Live this one to the fullest, rather than pissing it away in preparation for something that may not even exist.

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Who says that following the bible is pissing away life? I think at least the majority of the rules set out by the bible would still be good to apply to life even if there is no life after this one.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
10-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I think its super!
WHO'S WITH ME!

I POOPED MY WINGS :losing_wings:

I POOPED MY WINGS :losing_wings:

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)