Religion Forums - Discuss and Debate Religion

Full Version: What is my philosophy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is my dilemma: I have recently turned away from Christianity, and now I'm trying to figure out what to call myself. I still believe in God, so I'm not an atheist. I also think that God does sometimes interact with people in our world today, so I don't think I can call myself a deist. I haven't completely rejected the Bible, but I am angry at God and I've decided that Christianity isn't for me. The best name I can think of so far is "angry Christian." Is there any philosophy/worldview that would describe me accurately?
No idea what to call someone who believes in God but is angry with him. If the anger is such that you want to go against what God stands for, then a satanist I guess?

What makes you angry with God anyway?
I don't want to go against everything that God stands for. I still have Christian morals, and I support Christianity. I think that those who are aren't Christians will go to hell, so I want others to be Christian. I just don't think I can personally have a relationship with God.

Why I'm angry with God: He created me as an eternal being. He put me into a body that he designed and gave me my personality. I had no say in any of it. He put me into a world where the only true meaning in life is "to glorify God and enjoy him forever." He gave me the choice to glorify and obey him completely, or to spend eternity in hell. There's no "remove me from existence" option. To me, this just seems selfish and cruel. I wouldn't want a relationship with a person like that, and I don't want one with a God like that either.
Interesting. It is of course completely unfair to punish someone for infinite time when their sins can only have had a finite effect, especially when (as you point out) God could simply cause those he doesn't want around to cease to exist.

I don't think I've come across that argument being used by a believer before though.
Assuming bible god is real, it doesn't really matter if you agree with The Plan or not. God is the ultimate dictator. If you are Christian, shouldn't you just accept that god knows better than you?
You have turned away from Christianity but still support it.
Sounds to me you are pretty confused.
I think you need to become more clear about what you want.
If the problem is that not all Christians live according to Christian morals, I would say wake up and smell the coffee.
(09-10-2011 09:59 PM)ce93 Wrote: [ -> ]Why I'm angry with God: He created me as an eternal being. He put me into a body that he designed and gave me my personality. I had no say in any of it. He put me into a world where the only true meaning in life is "to glorify God and enjoy him forever." He gave me the choice to glorify and obey him completely, or to spend eternity in hell. There's no "remove me from existence" option. To me, this just seems selfish and cruel. I wouldn't want a relationship with a person like that, and I don't want one with a God like that either.

(09-11-2011 02:41 AM)For the love of god Wrote: [ -> ]If the problem is that not all Christians live according to Christian morals, I would say wake up and smell the coffee.

I think he's made it pretty clear that's not the issue.
From what you've written in your two posts ce93, I'd say that you're right on with your title of "angry Christian." If you still have deeply rooted Christian beliefs then my advice would be to just give it time. Anger is only temporary. And Christ is very patient and forgiving.

Blessings to you.
Nondenominational Christian?
It is normal to be angry at what you do not understand. It is like wanting to stick a fork in the outlets, and being angry at your parents for putting those damn plastic covers over them, and then taking away the fork. You still respect your parents, you still love them, but you are angry because you do not understand. Basically I would call you an angry confused unwise Christian. Think of what God according to Christianity and try to understand, that you may never understand. What is there really to be angry about?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's